Friday, April 16, 2010

Life Lessons from my Playlist

A while back I was having a lot of difficulty feeling in control of my life.  Not just in the normal ways.  It was primarily emotional.  So I started looking for things that would fill my well.  Give me emotional energy.  Make me feel empowered.

I came up with a list of songs, specifically for singing along with at high volume (me and the music).  I call them my Power Songs and they fill three cds.  Yes, I understand this is a little cheesy; but it works!  Each song was chosen for a different reason.  And there are many lessons in them.

So tonight I put my playlist on random and noted the first six songs. 

Possible lessons:
1.  Cold as Ice -- Foreigner:  It's important to consider the things we sacrifice when we turn cold, when we turn our backs on the world.  Pride costs.

2.  Where Have All the Cowboys Gone -- Paula Cole:  We get our minds set on an ideal, something we think we want.  It doesn't always pan out the way we thought it would.

3.  Appletree -- Erykah Badu:  Pick your friends.  If someone doesn't respect you for who you are then they aren't worth your time.

4.  This is Halloween -- Nightmare Before Christmas Soundtrack:  Children of all ages can enjoy the magic of Halloween.  Everyone has a role to play in life.  Maybe something or someone that scares you at first will turn out to be important in your life, or just fun.

5.  Spiderwebs -- No Doubt:  Some people are like spiders.  If you don't pay attention, before you know it you're caught in their web.

6.  Man in the Mirror -- Michael Jackson:  The best way to change the world is to change yourself.  You're the only person you can really change.

There are many possible lessons in each song; these were just my first thoughts.  I didn't choose them as power songs for these reasons, but each of these lessons is important. 

Basically they are all about being responsible for the direction of your life.  And what could be more powerful than that?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger CHERRANNE said...

I must admit I have totally loved listening to these cds. Spiderwebs was one I SO enjoyed at the concert last Year and thought of You and Your songs. I have My own list. Is it scary that it includes Nirvana? :-/ :-) You are awesome, Robin. No wonder God says that songs can be a prayer. Music is such a powerful force. :)

April 16, 2010 at 12:52 AM  
Blogger Dona said...

Your musical taste is very diverse. Music is magical.

April 16, 2010 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger Kazzy said...

When I think of Appletree I think of aerobics, eons ago. That was fun!

Music is a total salve for me too. Completely needed.

April 17, 2010 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger K and D Roylance said...

Turn it up loud, sing along. Therapy all in itself. Dancing, if you're somewhere you can, is also helpful.

April 18, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home