Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Sunday in the Life of a Mormon, part one

No theology here today, just a glimpse into what my Sundays look like (because I think it's fun to see how others live).  Some of this would vary depending on what my current calling is.  Also, different families establish their own guidelines, so a Mormon in a different family may have a very different Sunday from mine.  I will try to explain terms that may not be understood, but if I do too much explaining this post will be a novel.

Let's go with the second Sunday of the month; currently, that's my busiest one.

We are on the 1:00pm meeting schedule.  That means our meetings start at one in the afternoon.  There are three wards (congregations) that meet in our building so we have to take turns.  The start times are 9:00am, 11:00am, and 1:00pm.  This rotates every year.

Being on the late schedule means we can sleep later.  That is both good and bad at our house.  Good because we are night people and it's easier to get people moving happily in time for church.  Bad because we are night people and tend to stay up later on Saturday knowing we can sleep late the next day.  That is why you will see that the times I am waking people up are ridiculously late.

I am in charge of Sunday dinner.  I try to prepare something that can cook while we are at church or that is really fast and can be prepared after (our church ends at 4:00pm).  Since we don't shop on Sunday, I have to plan ahead.  Usually I get up at about 9:00am (maybe 9:30) and put something in the crock pot.  Then I get myself ready for the day, knowing there won't be time again later or I will be fighting for the bathroom.

I wake my 14-year old son at 10:00am if he isn't already up.  (Funny how he can get himself up just fine for football practice but struggles to get out of bed Sunday mornings.)  He has priesthood duties to perform.  On the first and second Sundays of the month the young men go to each house in the ward to collect fast offerings (donations for the welfare needs in our ward).  Hopefully he gets up and gets himself ready and out the door.

My current calling is second counselor in the Young Women organization (YW).  That means I work with the girls in our ward who are 12 and 13 years old.  It also means I have a YW presidency meeting every second Sunday at 10:30am.  I meet with the president (who works with the 16 and 17-year olds), the first counselor (who works with the 14 and 15-year olds), and the secretary.  We open and close the meeting with prayer.  One of us shares a spiritual thought that we think can help us in our callings.  Then we discuss the needs of the young women in our ward.  We note who is struggling.  We discuss ways to help individuals as well as the group.  We plan activities, hopefully those that will meet the needs of our girls.  We review activities we've already held to note things that worked and things that didn't.  Our president presents items that we need to know about from Ward Council.  Our goal is to follow the guidance of the Spirit as we try to help these young ladies prepare to be wives and mothers.  This meeting usually lasts about an hour.

Okay, I can see that this is going to take longer than I thought.  I guess I'd better break it up into several posts so as not to overwhelm anyone.  More to come.

And I'd love to read about how other people spend their sabbath (no matter what day you observe it) or how you choose to worship.  If you write about it, please send me a link so I can check it out.

Go here for part two.
Go here for part three.

7 comments:

Katie said...

I think this is a great idea! Although I know a lot about the Mormon beliefs and theology, I couldn't have told you before how a day would look, or what type of classes/programs/etc. would be expected!

Thanks for sharing.

www.brewingdaily.blogspot.com

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing your Sunday Robin. I think I'd prefer the late schedule also. It sounds like your church provides a strong sense of family as a group.
Do you call it church or temple or fellowship? Or something else. I'm thinking church because of "Church of Latter Day Saints".

Saretta said...

That's a busy day! Stopping by from SITS!

Caren with a "C" said...

We meet at 9:30am for the 3 hour block. I wish we met at 10am. I do like having my Sunday afternoons open to visit with family, relax, and maybe do some family history research. We sometimes watch BYU TV and watch a good movie. I would love to do some 'doorbell ditching' of cookies to the widows in the ward if I had a bit more energy.

Libby said...

Thanks for sharing your day (or part of it). We have been so itinerant in the last few years that I haven't found a church I like. Sometimes I wonder should that matter? There are so many levels to the Anglican church in Australia from what I like to call the happy clappy (very relaxed) to what my Mum likes to call the bells and smells (very traditional). It would be nice to find one where we fit.

Sela Toki said...

What a small world Robin. I too am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In other words: Mormon. In our family, it doesn't matter how early or late we start church we still go to bed late late and then wake up late.

Heather W said...

I am not religious (though I was a Theology minor and was raised in what some would deem a cult), but my father was raised by a Mormon mother. I met the family for the first time a few years ago in Utah at a reunion and only 2 out of a hundred or so would speak to me (I had been invited by a 2nd cousin who is not Mormon but grew up around the family, so I guess they accept her by default). I respect everyone's right to practice as they choose, but it was obvious they didn't respect my right not to practice. I asked my father why he didn't warn me (he left Mormonism as a teenager) and he said I needed to understand for myself. I find it incredibly exclusionary. That written, the actual family history is interesting, though. We have the journals of when my grandmother's family escaped with Brigham Young. All I can write is take care of your health first and foremost. Without it, you won't be able to do all of these other things.