Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Blogging About Religion

I've been a member of the blogosphere for a while now, both reading and writing.  And I've noticed an interesting thing.  Lots of people include religion in their blogs.

Isn't religion supposed to be one of those topics that is off limits in polite conversation?

I'm not saying that people who blog about religion are rude.  Not at all.

It's just interesting to see how different people approach it as they write.  Some have little tags on their blogs claiming their religion.  Others clarify religious references for people of a different faith.  And many others just assume that you know what they are talking about.

I haven't done a lot of blog hunting.  I have just basically followed those of friends, or those a friend is linked to.  A little blog hopping, but not much.  So, it stands to reason, most of the blogs I follow are written by Mormons (like myself).

And if your entire audience shares your beliefs then I guess it's safe conversation.

But my audience doesn't.  I have several readers who do not share my religious affiliation.  So I have been unsure how, or if, to address this.

My experience with those of other faiths is limited.  So I will speak of myself and my faith.  Probably just this once.

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  A Mormon.  I believe strongly in my faith.  I go to church once a week, where I teach children.  I am sometimes involved with mid-week meetings as well.  My faith is a part of my religion every day through prayer, scripture study, and the many choices I make in a day -- especially parenting.  I don't believe that I would be whole without my faith and the gospel I believe in.

That said, I do not think that those who disagree with me are going to hell.  I do not think I am superior to them in any way.  I do not think that religion should stop me from being friends with anyone or treating anyone with respect.  I mention this only because I have seen evidence that others do hold these positions.  I have seen these opinions within my own faith.  These are the opinions of people, not principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am so grateful for the many religions of the world and believe that people (religious or not) are just trying to be the best people they can be, to worship whatever god(s) they believe in the best way they know how. 

And I love learning about the beliefs and practices of others.  I think anytime we strive to understand each other, we move closer to unity and peace.

And couldn't we all use a little more peace in our lives?

6 comments:

Kazzy said...

My religion comes into my writing when it specifically defines an experience I am telling about. And I often use more generic church words, like congregation. I haven't felt compelled to embed a button in my sidebar, but think they are cool for people who have them.

Dona said...

I don't think very many people read my blog and the ones who do are LDS or familiar enough with it to understand the terminology I hope. Interesting post, as usual

shuggy said...

i think it's one of those topics that it's your blog, you can write what you want. if people don't want to discuss, they shouldn't comment. know what i mean? and it's good to know you don't think you are superior to me :)

K and D Roylance said...

I think "religion" comes into blogging just by the way we live our lives. As you said, it is a part of your everyday life, how could you not mention it?
I very much liked your phrasing, once stating your religion, that you didn't think it put you above anyone or should keep you from being friends with anyone who is not of the same religion...may I say AMEN!! I agree about the peace.
Now how do I address the "hormone issues" blog I'm thinking about that potentially could be more dangerous than religion???

Greg Hendricks said...

I don't know, I think your blog would make an excellent addition to the "blogernacle". Most of the labeled LDS ones out there are about as religious as yours in my opinion. You talk from the heart. That is all that matters.

Caren with a "C" said...

I am a new blogger and I noticed the same thing as you. I'm also LDS and in California. I DO love your writing! I look forward to following you!