Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Funeral Junkie

I admit it.  I am a funeral junkie.  There are few things I enjoy more than a good funeral.

No, this is not the macabre side of me speaking.

To be upfront, I have only attended Mormon funerals.  I have heard that funerals performed in other religions are quite different.  It would be interesting to see if I enjoyed one of those as much.

But funerals are so beautiful!

There is so much love.  It's about celebrating a person's life.  I usually learn more about a person at their funeral than I did through many conversations with them.  I love seeing them through the eyes of others.  The way their neighbor saw them.  The way their children, grandchildren, and spouse saw them. 

Yes, there is much sadness.  But this, too, is based in love.  These people are terribly sad because they loved the deceased.  And were loved.  And the love continues.  That's why it hurts.

So, even when there is pain, I get so much out of it.  I cry with those that cry.  I laugh with those that laugh.  It's very therapeutic.

I have been to some funerals that were a result of tragedy:  crib death, target shooting accident, suicide.  Lives cut too short.  These can be so hard.  But I am able to be there to offer my love to ease the burden.  Hopefully my presence is felt and it helps.

But the main reason that I love funerals so much is the spirituality.  People are raw.  Their spirits shine forth in purity.  They glow as if from another sphere.

Angels minister at funerals, those we see and those we don't.

When the room is filled with love and concern, and hearts are breaking, we are joined in unity -- and the veil becomes very thin.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dona said...

I'm glad you like them. They can certainly be a very spiritual experience.

April 15, 2010 at 2:04 AM  
Blogger Kazzy said...

I have been to funerals held in another church, and they have a heaviness and gloom that I can barely take. When my sweet grandmother died I just wanted to redo the whole thing.

I agree with you about the therapeutic nature of them. We bury people but raise their families at the same event. It is a wonderful paradox.

April 15, 2010 at 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home