Monday, December 13, 2010

Why Did I Get Out of Bed?

Let me set the stage a little.  I was very dizzy yesterday so I took some anti-dizzy medication.  Mixed with the Xanax I am taking let's just say I was VERY tired.  However, I still didn't get to bed until about 12:30am. 

Since I am the human alarm clock in my house, my day started at 5:00am.  Wake up one daughter so she can study for a test.  6:30am start waking other kids.  7:00am wake son.  7:07 wake son again.  And 7:14.  And 7:21.  Son is already grounded from the computer for other infractions, so what do I threaten him with now?  Finally scare son enough (pretty loud yelling) that he gets out of bed at 7:28am.  Keep in mind that I have to walk down the hall on my very painful foot each time to do this.  To say that I am irritated with him does not come close.

Spend the next twenty minutes trying to get him to move faster than a sloth so that he will be ready when his ride comes.  As he purposely pushes every single one of his sister's buttons.  When his ride comes he makes them wait a minute or so while he hunts for his jacket.  I am just glad to have him out of my house.

I lock the doors and go back to bed.  I can barely keep my eyes open.  I am still feeling the effects of yesterday's medications.  I set my alarm for noon.  I will surely be able to get up by then.  Or not.  Many snoozes and alarm changes later, I finally get up at about 1:30pm.  My foot hurts so bad I can barely walk.  I have to eat something so I can take some anti-inflammatory meds without extreme stomach pain.  I stumble to the kitchen and have a bowl of cereal (after I wash a bowl and spoon because the dishes have stacked up -- again).  Of course, the kitchen smells of something really nasty that I'm sure is buried under all the dishes.  I get my frozen water bottle and take it to my room so I can put my foot on it.  I try to catch up on some blog reading.

Half an hour later, I take the water bottle back to the freezer.  Passing through the living room on my way back to unlock the door so the children can get in, I notice a discoloration on the carpet.  Not a subtle one.  Cat puke.  Of course.  So I limp into the kitchen and get what I need to clean up the cat puke.

I get a text message telling me my daughter is on no-credit status because of unexcused absences or tardies (which I know I have called and excused).  I get an email that another daugher is failing one or more of her classes (she says the teacher hasn't entered all her make up work).  I find myself in the basement looking for something and can smell cat poop.  Somehow, as strong as the smell is, I can't find it.  I eventually have to give up and decide to try again later.

One daughter comes home, very sick.  I send her to bed.  It's her turn for dinner so now I have that as well.  Did I mention that my foot is killing me and my meds are sending me into a depression?  Just walking around my own house is hard.  I need a shower.  But now I have to go out in public.

Two more daughters come home.  Aside from their irritating cheerfulness, things seem to be okay with them.  I realize it's getting kind of late and I haven't heard from my son.  I decide to give him a little more time to check in.

Oldest daughter comes home and collapses on my bed.  Super tired and stressed because it's finals week at college and she is pushing every limit she's got.

Finally decide I can't wait any longer and I have to track down my son.  I try to call the only friend I can think of and their phone isn't working.  I decide I'm going to have to drive to his house.  I look like death warmed over.  I drive up there.  She says they were there but they went to do parkour somewhere.  She doesn't know where.  She can tell by my face that he's in trouble.  We each promise that whoever finds them first will make them contact home.  It is now 2 1/2 hours since school ended and since it's winter it's dark.  He's fourteen.

I am a pretty relaxed parent in many ways.  My kids get away with a lot.  But I have one major rule (other than don't kill anyone) and that is that I must know where you are and who you are with.  Always.  You do not leave the school to go anywhere but home unless you call first.  You do not stay at the school to practice your instrument or work out in the weight room unless you call first.  You do not say you are going one place and then go to another place without checking in first.  You do not leave me wondering where you are.  Especially if you already ticked me off that day.

I drive around for half an hour checking parks.  No sign of him.  The street lights are now on.  I go buy Little Caesar's pizza because I'm in charge of dinner now.  Still looking like garbage.

I decide to go home and wait it out.  On my way, he calls.  Our conversation goes like this:

"Hi, mom." (sounding cheery and nonchalant)
"Are you at T's house?"
"Yeah."
"Get your binder (which he left there last week).  I will be there in five minutes to pick you up."  (It's now three hours since school has been out.)
"You mean I can't stay?"
"GET YOUR BINDER.  I WILL BE THERE IN FIVE MINUTES TO PICK YOU UP.  ARE WE CLEAR NOW?"
"Yup."

I pick him up.  I can't even speak because I am so angry.  (Okay, fine, the meds may have something to do with my aggression.  But this is also not a first offense for this boy.  He's been warned and grounded before.  Several times.  I have had it!)

We get home.  I kick his sister off the computer and tell him to log into his facebook account.  Then I send him to take out the over-flowing trash.  As he does that I change his facebook status to:  "This is Nik's mom.  He is grounded from any contact with friends for the next two weeks.  Do not invite him to do anything or call until after Christmas.  He is unavailable.  Thank you."

I go in to make sure he puts a new liner in the trash can only to find that someone spilled something nasty in the trash earlier when it didn't have a liner and just put a new one in anyway.  So whatever they spilled has now fermented.  I get the Lysol and paper towels and start to clean it out, only to find that there is also an entire serving of mashed potatoes in the bottom of the trash can.  Soft and gooey mashed potatoes.  This is a 30-gallon trash can so I have to practically climb inside to clean it.  Awful smell.  And now choking on the Lysol.

People eat their pizza.  Husband finally gets home.  I am a little irritated at him, too.  He forgot to charge his phone last night so it's been dead all day.  This means I couldn't call and ask him for help finding my son, to pick up dinner on his way home, or complain about the horrible day I was having.

I finally take a bath.  Now I no longer look like an unearthed zombie with a hangover.  I head into the kitchen to see if there's anything I can eat (I hate Little Caesar's pizza).  I finally make a couple peanut butter and honey sandwiches.  I go back into the kitchen to put my dishes away.  I don't have the heart to make the daughter in charge of dishes do them because she's the one studying like crazy for finals.  I have other daughter unload the dishwasher and I load.  In the process I find that both sides of the sink are clogged because my family simply cannot resist the urge to throw solid food into the sink.  Our disposal has been broken for over a year.  I have been lecturing for about that long.  They aren't getting it.  As I do the dishes I find chunks of curdled milk, soggy Cheerios, sandwich baggies, a box top, the sharp removed top of a tin can, and bits and pieces of no-one-wants-to-guess.  And a seriously disgusting rag that could easily be used for a science project in its current state of stench.  I end up using our mini-plunger just to get the sinks to drain.

My head is killing me.  I'm tired.  I have zero patience.  I have done no Christmas shopping because my foot hurts so bad and my meds are playing havoc with my system.  We don't even have a Christmas tree.

And my daughter just sent me a text asking me to wake her at 5:30 tomorrow morning.

Today, I am Scrooge.  And I am completely and 100% okay with that.  Wake me up in January; I'm skipping the rest of this holiday.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl D. said...

I'm sorry your day was so sucky! I hope tomorrow is better!

December 13, 2010 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger Christa Terry said...

Oh man, I can't even imagine. I don't like it when my toddler doesn't listen now, but it's usually such minor stuff. I'm going to be such a mess when my kids are teenagers.

December 14, 2010 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Dawnelle said...

Ok, I admit it. I laughed--and then I prayed that my life with teenagers goes better. Probably not, but I can hope. :) I also hope your body becomes a happier place. EVERY problem is bigger when you don't feel good.

December 14, 2010 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Jessica Grosland said...

I totally forgot it was my turn for dishes yesterday! I'm sorry. I haven't gotten used to doing them on Monday, and you're right in thinking my brain was too warped to figure it out last night.

After today, though, I'll be halfway done with my finals. Just a few more to go, and I should be ridiculously happy and helpful.

(P.S. I know the day really sucked, but doesn't it make you feel just a teeny bit pleased when you can write about it so well?)

I LOVE YOU, MOM!

December 14, 2010 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger BlackEyedDog said...

Oh what a day-.-
Sometimes you just want to be the only person on this planet so that no one can get on your nerves.
The only thing that can console you for such a sucky day is the hope of some better days =)

xoxo

P.S.:Hope your foot is better already.

December 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM  
Blogger Life with Kaishon said...

Oh no. I can tell you were feeling terrible. I hope your pain goes away soon. What a day. I know they are all a pain right now. Really, I do. I don't even want to think about the teenage years. I can not imagine having 3 of them at the same time. OH MY GOODNESS! Treasure these days though. Treasure the moments because they fly quickly.

December 15, 2010 at 7:38 AM  
OpenID coolestfamilyontheblock said...

Is it awful that I read that whole thing and now all I can think of is "I want some Little Caesar's pizza"?! Well, I've always been terribly self-centered.

You certainly had a much worse day than I did. I started off laughing about the son not getting out of bed, but then I just started to feel really bad for you as the day went on. And I LOVE the Facebook status. That's something my mom would've done had Facebook existed when I was a teenager...and if I'd ever gotten into trouble, which I never did. For the most part.
Now I feel like I need medication now just from reading this post! I sure hope tomorrow is better for you :)

I wanted to stop by and thank you for commenting on my blog yesterday during my unorganized SITS feature day. I always appreciate your comments :)

December 15, 2010 at 6:52 PM  
Blogger Kelly Latour said...

Wow, and I thought my day was stressful! I hope you are feeling a ton better now! Jonathan and I also want 5 kids, so your insights give me an idea of what may lay ahead.

December 15, 2010 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

What? You have bad days? Phew. Glad to know i'm not alone. :-)

Also, that "about me" part where you said you don't intend to make your blog cute? It's a lie! Cause this is cute! Good job. I'm proud.

I hope your foot feels better. DO you need me to send you some drugs? Wrapped in a sock all gangster style? (That's how my mom mailed me some amoxicillan one time) I'll even throw in some diet coke. Yup.

December 17, 2010 at 11:56 PM  
Blogger Sublime Dream said...

That sounds like a hell of a day. I am dreading my boys becoming teens....... :( I am going to pass this on to my best friend- sounds a lot like it could have been about here!- last year she even had a broken toe/sore foot and couldn't walk just before Christmas.

I remember stopping here recently because I LOVE your banner. Said it tehn, saying it again! Love it!

Happy SITS day!

October 14, 2011 at 2:21 AM  
Blogger Morgan said...

Wow ... that was a doozy! It made me want to climb back into my bed, too!

Enjoy your SITS day!

October 14, 2011 at 7:14 AM  
Anonymous Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves said...

Wow, I all of a sudden don't want any children.

October 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM  
Blogger Rose's Daughter said...

Omg that sucked! I wanted to cry for you! I really hope the next day was better!

Happy SITS Day!

October 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger Alethea said...

Oh, my goodness. That was a terrible, rotten, no-good kind of day; I have to say that the clogged sink and the smelly rag would have sent me straight up and sideways and then over the edge. I would have embarrassed myself with the screaming.

Thanks for sharing, and Happy SITS day!

October 16, 2011 at 6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home