Or what you believe. Or think. Or understand to be true. Or wonder.
And then I'll tell you what I know and we'll both be better for it.
If I tell you what I know, and it's different from what you know, will you take offense? Will it cause bad feelings between us? Will you feel judged by me? Will you feel superior to me?
If I tell you what I know, and you are unsure about God, will it make you feel insecure? Will you feel like I'm trying to convert you? Will you feel like I'm trying to tell you what to believe?
If you tell me what you know, will it be because you want to convert me? Will it be because you feel it's your duty? Will it be because you have truth that I should have? Will it be because you care for me? Will it be to condemn me?
If I tell you what I know about God, will it make you uncomfortable?
If you tell me what you know about God, will you try to use it to control me?
I'm fascinated by the beliefs of others. My faith (the faith within me, not my church) brings me so much joy. I wish everyone could experience it. But I don't believe my faith is the only way to find joy. I believe truth brings joy. I believe there is a lot of truth out there that I don't know yet.
I've spent my whole life surrounded by people who were almost all members of the same church as me. I used to think that meant we all had the same perception and understanding of God. As I've grown I've learned this is not at all true. There are some general things most of us believe, but there are also differences. We know different things.
Because you can study and research and ponder every word that has ever been written about God and not know Him as well as a little girl who prays when she is scared. This little girl who feels something outside of herself that makes her feel safe. This little girl who feels a strength beyond her own. If all you do is read and study and ponder, she will know more about God than you do. Because she will know God.
Maybe you've felt something, sensed something, been aware of something beyond what you can explain. Maybe you aren't ready to call that God. Or maybe you call it something else. I'd love to hear your story.
Or maybe you've never had a sense of anything beyond this world and think others are deceiving themselves. That it's a happy fairy tale we use to make this world a little less scary. I'd love to hear your story, too.
A few simple truths I know about God. My truth. (People say truth is truth and we can't have different truths, but I don't believe that. Because our truth isn't just about what is true. Our truth is also based on who we are and how we can receive it and process it.)
God is aware of each of us individually. He was once like us. He experienced mortal life on a world like ours. He is now God because of the way He lived that life. He earned it. He is the Father of our spirits. He has a physical body but not like ours. His body is perfected. And as His children, we have the potential to become like Him. To do wonderful things after this life. And hard things, too. To continue to grow and progress and become.
As our Father, He hurts with us. He allows difficult things to happen but almost never causes them. He knows the best us we can be. He knows hard things are how we get there. He knows we are strengthened by the resistance of trials.
He knows me. My life is better when I turn to Him and let Him guide me. He does not control or force. If we want Him to be a part of our lives, we have to choose to invite Him. He waits for that invitation and it brings Him joy to answer it. We are His purpose.
These are some of my truths about God. As I grow and learn and experience some of them might change. Some of my truths will be expanded upon. I might see others from a different angle. And some of them may no longer be my truths. It will be fun to see.
Now I've told you some of what I know about God. All those questions I asked in the beginning, I'm asking again. Do you feel threatened by my truths? Do you feel judged by my truths? Do you feel superior to me because of my truths? Do my truths align with yours or challenge yours?
I would love it if you'd share some of your truths with me. Or just thoughts or feelings or questions. Questions we can ponder together. Tell me what you know about God.
**********
I welcome all opinions and viewpoints, but if you are unkind or abusive or disrespectful I will delete your comment.