Thursday, July 5, 2012

Feedback on Your Blog

Honest feedback is important.  Having people in your life who can look at something objectively and tell you the truth is so valuable.  As women, we sometimes struggle giving or receiving feedback well.  We tip-toe around the truth to not be hurtful.  We get hurt when someone answers directly a question we asked.  I am a firm believer that if you don't really want a truthful answer, you shouldn't ask the question.  Especially to me.

I believe truth is power.  Knowledge is power.  Going along living your life thinking everything is wonderful because all the little minions around you are telling you how great you are is not wonderful.  It might feel good for a while, but it's fake.  And it does nothing for your growth.

I thought about this today as I answered a request for feedback on someone's blog.  It was fun for me, although it was tough, too.  I worried that I would say something that would hurt her feelings.  But at the same time, I saw such potential for growth.  I truly felt like I was helping her see things she was missing.  I don't expect her to change everything I said I didn't like.  She might choose to change none of them.  But having this feedback gives her options she might not have known she had.

I really feel like the most important thing about blogging is to know why you are doing it.  Are you doing it as a family history?  Are you doing it because all of your friends are doing it?  Are you doing it because writing makes you happy?  Are you doing it to make money?  Are you doing it to shut your brain up (that would be me)?  Are you doing it in the hopes of getting a book deal?  Are you doing it to connect with others online?

There are so many reasons people blog.  Maybe you blog for a reason I didn't mention.  Maybe you blog for several reasons.  We usually have a primary goal and secondary goals, even when we aren't really aware of them.  But until you know why you blog, you can never know if your blog is successful.  If you don't know what your actual goals are how will you know when you reach them?

And once you know what your goals are it's important to know what's standing in the way.  That's where honest feedback comes in.

I work very hard not to give feedback unless it's asked for.  If I see a problem on your blog, I probably won't tell you (unless you're my daughter and it's a typo).  But I love to give feedback when asked.

So I am making this offer today.  If you've ever wanted someone to look over your blog and tell you what you can improve on, send me an email or let me know in a comment.  I'd be happy to look it over and give you honest feedback.  Because we can all use a little more truth in our lives.

Oh, and I welcome any feedback you might have for me as well.

**********
Some recent health issues have made it increasingly difficult for me to fulfill this offer to everyone who asked.  I apologize if I didn't get to your blog.  I ask your forgiveness and wish you well in your blogging efforts.