Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What Makes a Writer?

My brother is a doctor.  He went to school for about 70 years so I could say that (okay probably not quite that long, but his wife claims it's close).

I am a mother.  I had sex and gave birth.

Some titles are easier to qualify for than others.

What about writer?  What is necessary to qualify for that title?  Who gets to decide when you can rightfully wear it?

I've asked myself that question a lot lately.  I write a lot.  Other people read my stuff.  Does that make me a writer?

I'm not published (no, I haven't tried).  My daughter is, so I guess she's a writer.

Is there a difference between being a writer and being an author?

I think it's tough.  Some people claim that title for themselves rather easily even though I wouldn't give it to them (yes, I'm talking about Stephanie Meyer again -- I know, I've got issues). 

And there are many published authors out there making a lot of money on serial novels that are very formulaic, no originality, no thinking (no, I don't feel this way about all of them; don't send me hate comments; I'm sure the ones you read are awesome).

The real question here is if I am a writer.  No, I'm not asking you.  I know that you can easily answer in the comments, but that won't do it for me.  Unfortunately, no amount of telling me something positive about myself will convince me.  Not from the outside.

I need to feel it from the inside.  That's the only way to convince myself, to wear the title.

I have received many wonderful compliments on my writing (thank you, all you wonderful people -- you rock!).  I have had people tell me that I've helped them through a difficult time.  I've had people tell me that I made them laugh or made them think.  These things are very cool.

But I think what finally convinced me is that I enjoy it so much.  It feels right.  It feels like I am exercising a muscle, stretching and growing, progressing.  It fits me.

It's part of me, part of who I am.  Writing. 

So I guess that makes me . . . *gulp* . . . a writer.  Identity crisis averted.  For now.