Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Living with Chronic Illness

Living with chronic illness, my daily "to do" lists don't look like most.  I can't plan much because I don't know if I'll be able to get out of bed that day, how much I'll be hurting, or what level of energy I might have.  With a husband and five active children, there are plenty of things added to each day.  I have to keep my own plans simple.  Very simple.  Many times this has left me feeling like a failure because I can't do as much as others.  Or overwhelmed and paralyzed because there was so much to do and I didn't feel like I could do anything.  As a therapeutic project, I spent a lot of time examining my life and figuring out what I could realistically expect to get done each day.  This way, even on my worst days I can feel like I've accomplished something.  It helps.

Worst Days:
  • eat something
  • do something - anything
  • try to communicate current status to family
Bad Days:
  • eat
  • make my bed
  • put a bra on
  • spend time out of my room, at least five minutes
  • communicate with family
Down Days:
  • eat
  • make my bed
  • get dressed
  • open curtains/windows
  • shower if needed
  • brush teeth and hair
  • try to spend some time outside, no matter how small the amount
  • let family visit with me in my room
Iffy Days:
  • eat
  • make my bed
  • get cleaned up enough to leave the house
  • open curtains/windows
  • leave the house
  • talk to someone outside of my family, even if only online
  • clean something - anything
  • shower if needed
  • spend time with family outside of my room, no matter how small the amount
Good Days:
  • eat healthy food, try to stick to schedule and track
  • make my bed
  • get cleaned up enough to visit with friends
  • open curtains/windows
  • drive somewhere - anywhere
  • go for a walk or do yard work
  • listen to a conference talk/devotional or read church magazines
  • shower
  • pick up the living room
  • talk to someone outside my family, in person or by phone
  • try to stay out of my room
Great Days (add any of the following to Good Day plans):
  • do something creative (write, draw, color, crochet, flute)
  • do something that feeds my soul
  • do real exercise
  • meditate
  • vacuum the living room
  • straighten the dining room
  • clean the kitchen, including a load of dishes
  • do a load of laundry
  • write a list of what's been weighing heavily on my mind
  • run errands
  • shop for fresh fruits and vegetables
  • play a game with someone
  • clean for 15 minutes - no more
  • do deep breathing
  • do calendaring/scheduling
  • do budget/bills
  • spend more time out of my room than in it
Every Night:  choose one thing I want to get done the next day; forgive myself if it doesn't happen
Every Day:  pray and spend some time in the scriptures, no matter how small the amount
Bonus Points:  talk to my husband in person and make some kind of physical contact

I try to make my bed every day because it makes me happy.  Anything beyond what's on these lists would be a major accomplishment and might cost me the next day.