Often, when people ask me how I am, I reply that I am holding on -- with both hands and a roll of duct tape.
I misplaced my duct tape.
I say this because my life slipped out of my hands a bit recently. I was stuck doing triage. Hitting those life or death things, but missing the details.
I kept the electricity on. We had food in the house. My kids went to school.
But I fell down on some things, too.
I have been sleeping too little at night and too much during the day. I haven't been eating much. I stayed home almost all the time, usually not getting dressed for the day until my kids were about to get home from school. Or after they did and I had to take them somewhere.
Basically, I quit doing things for me. I spent so much time trying to put out fires that I forgot to make sure my firesuit was secure. And I got a little burnt.
Once I find myself there, it's tricky to get out. It's a steep climb without any gear. Because I left all my gear on the ledge I fell off of.
But it's still there. I know where it is this time. I have some spotters who will help keep me from plummeting to my death. I've made the climb before.
And I've finally figured out what the duct tape is. It's self-care. I've got several rolls stashed in various areas of my life.
Now if I can just remember what I'm looking for when I walk into the room that has it. Then I'll be all set.