Thursday, March 18, 2010

I'm a Blurker

Okay, I admit it.  I lurk.  I stalk.  I read and run.  I am *dun dun dun* a blurker.  A blog-lurker, if you will.

Why do I do it?  I am a blogger.  I know how much comments can mean to the author.  So what is so hard about taking a minute to add a line or two of my own thoughts on the issue or my praise for the insight or just two thumbs up?

Good question.  I have pondered this.  And the answers are as varied as the blogs I follow.

Sometimes many people post on the same day and I'm short on time.  Sometimes it's because I'm not in a writing mood -- not even a comment.  Sometimes it's because I'm very snarky at the moment and don't think the person would really like my snotty little comment.

And sometimes, often actually, it's due to my nature.  I have a tendency to play devil's advocate.  All the time.  With nearly everything I hear or read.

Now you may think that what you say couldn't have another side, there is no argument to be made, it's just you expressing your feelings.  I think you'd be surprised at the things I can find to argue with.  Stupid things.  Very unimportant things.  Not at all productive things.  But once that thought enters my mind I have difficulty letting it go.  Do you really want me to comment on your post telling you all the things I disagree with?  That's not very supportive or helpful.  If the post seems to truly invite contrasting opinions, rest assured, I will probably offer mine.

I am also not one to give the courtesy comment (like a courtesy laugh).  If it comes from me, I want it to be my genuine feelings not just ego stroking.  I apologize if this is difficult for some.  There are plenty of people out there who will tell you what you want to hear and make you feel good.  I will only be one of them if the planets align.  It's who I am.

I try to comment on the first post I read so that the author knows I'm following them.  Afterward, it's usually just as the mood moves me.

So, if I've ever commented on your blog I'm probably still following you.  If I don't comment it's not because I don't like it, just because I didn't feel like it.  And if I do comment, you will know that I am completely sincere.

And thanks for all the comments on my blog.  You're all a better audience than I am.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Dona said...

I like your comments on my blog. A snarky comment might be kind of fun. As long as I'm not feeling snarky when I read your snarky comment. Ah, there's the rub. There is just no way to know for sure what mood the commentor or commentee is in. Maybe that is part of the fun.

March 18, 2010 at 2:24 AM  
Blogger Jessica Grosland said...

(*no comment*)

March 18, 2010 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Jessica Grosland said...

(*can't manage a straight face anymore*) BWA HA HA HA HA HA!!! I am SOOOOO funny!

March 18, 2010 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger K and D Roylance said...

Blurk on -- whatever the mood, whatever the comment, I'm flattered that you even stopped by.

March 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger Yarell said...

Blurk - what a perfect word for a blog lurker :) I might have to borrow that sometime.

i do enjoy your comments when you make them. Thanks for reading, and thanks for sometimes commenting, and especially thanks for blogging. I never know what i'll find.

March 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

This is so funny because I was just feeling guilty that you were such a good commentor on my blog and I hadn't said anything for awhile! I guess you understand . . .

March 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

i feel so guilty now for not commenting on other blogs as often as i should. (turns over new leaf) unfortunately- i find the wind loves to turn my leaves back over for me too soon and too often (see- its not my fault!) :)

March 21, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home