Thursday, March 11, 2010

Curiouser and Curiouser

There is a part of my brain that will always be two years old.  Lots of "wassat?" and "why?"

So many things intrigue me.  Sometimes I don't even finish figuring one thing out before I'm moving on to the next.

A recent example.  I was walking uphill on a sidewalk.  The sidewalk, residing in Utah, had obviously shifted some due to the freeze/thaw cycle.  So rather than be flat, like when it was laid, you could tell the ends of some blocks had risen above the ends they met on the next block.  But this was a public sidewalk and needed to allow for travel without tripping.  So the ends that had risen above the others had been trimmed, shaved down, if you will, to make them level again.  I found myself fascinated with that.  How did they do that?  I'd love to watch it done sometime.  I'd love to see the machine they use to do it.

I am also always curious about words I don't know.  My kids ask, "Mom, what does this word mean?"  If it's one I'm not familiar with they groan when they hear the familiar answer, "I don't know.  Let's look it up!"  And if they get away without being forced to hear the definition, they can be sure to find it in their email.  Dictionary.com is one of the sites I visit most frequently.

I also love learning about science.  The human body:  Why does this cause this?  Space:  Scientists discover a new phenomenon.  Psychology:  They are working on the new DSMV and it's online; I can read it just for fun to see what's new!

It also happens when I'm watching movies.  She looks familiar; what else have I seen her in?  If I can't figure it out quickly, I often stop the movie and go look it up on my other favorite site, IMDB.com.  Look up the movie.  Look up the character.  Look up the actress and find out what else she's been in.  Ahhh . . . satisfaction.  I can watch the movie now.

I'm always researching something.  Studying something.

Yes, it gets irritating to the people around me. 
     "I don't know -- I'll look it up!"
     "Please don't.  I don't really care that much."

This I don't understand.  I don't understand how people can have a question, not get the answer, and not care.

But when they have a question, who do they go to?  Who do they believe is the repository of all knowledge?  Who do they treat as a walking dictionary/thesaurus/encyclopedia?

That's right.  Me.  And that's okay.  Because every question I get that I don't know the answer to is another opportunity to learn.  And I am so very curious!

7 comments:

Kazzy said...

I think that is a great way to be. Remember, we get to take that kind of stuff with us.

Dona said...

It is very satisfying to find the answer to a question or to solve a mystery however small it may be.

MaggieJo said...

I'm 100% with you on the movie thing. I'm so distracted by the familiar face or voice that I can't focus on the movie.

K and D Roylance said...

Ooh, thanks for the web site references. I love finding new places to find the answers (in addition to you of course)!

Luann said...

This is what I love about the interwebs. If you are willing to take the time to look, you can usually find an answer to just about anything. Whether or not it is a correct answer... well caveat emptor.

Jessica Grosland said...

Don't you guys go on encouraging her. She really is unrelentingly obnoxious about this stuff, and since you guys don't have to LIVE with her, we as her children would prefer it if you discontinue indulging her obsessive practices.

Thanks much-ly,

The Grosland Kids

Kazzy said...

Maybe one of the Grosland kids can look up "caveat emptor".