Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mornings Suck!

I'm sorry to be so crass.  I could sugar coat it.  I could say that mornings aren't my favorite time of day.  That they are a struggle.  But it wouldn't change the fact that mornings suck!  And I mean bad!

I hear people talk about the joy of watching the sunrise.  I hear people talk about that blissful time in the house when they are the only ones up, private time to enjoy before they wake everyone else.  I hear people talk about being so grateful for another day.  Welcoming it with excitement and vigor.

I hate these people; they're so irritating.

These are the people who schedule early morning games for my children ON SATURDAYS!  These are the people who decided that my kids should start school at 7:30 a.m. -- even though studies show that children aren't really awake enough to learn productively at that time of day.  And can't you just hear some snotty, bright-eyed morning person saying, "The early bird gets the worm,"  with that big, I've-been-up-since-five grin on their face?

Well, maybe that's true.  Maybe the early bird does get the worm.  But I stay up late and I get cookies.  Which would you rather have?

I can enjoy the quiet time, when I'm the only one awake, at two in the morning.  I can watch whatever I want on hulu without interruption from my sleeping family.  I can be grateful that another day is over and I didn't kill anyone.  I can revel in my internal rebellion against the clock of modern society.

I haven't always been comfortable this way.  I tried to conform.  Especially while living with my father, who has always gotten up at 4:00 a.m. without need of an alarm clock.

But I'm a grown up now.  Or at least, a legal adult.  I get to decide when to go to bed.

If only I could really decide when to get up.  I still have kids who are school age, who still haven't mastered the art of getting up and out the door without me. 

But there will come a day.  There will come a day when I don't use an alarm clock.  When I sleep until my body tells me to get up.  When I finally feel rested.

Okay, I may be delusional, but it gets me through.  I have to keep believing that there's beautiful darkness and quiet at the end of the tunnel.

Until then, mornings will continue to suck.

5 comments:

Yarell said...

Amen. And don't forget those annoying birds that love to chirp so early in the morning.

Kazzy said...

I love the "darkness at the end of the tunnel" line! HAHA

Mornings are hard. But for some reason, once I am up I get more done in the morning than in the afternoon, which is only productive for me if I have a serious deadline or someone that is expecting me for something.

To each her own body clock. :)

K and D Roylance said...

I too will take the cookies (or Ice cream) over the worms.
I love my bed waaaay past the time the alarm clock goes off (fortunately the alarm usually isn't for me!)

Dona said...

I just can't imagine what you are talking about. I was up and going at 6:00 a.m. Yes, I guess you could call me a morning person. Except that I fell into bed at 6:30 and slept until 9:30and now I'm back at that blasted project that is now 12 hours late and my homeschooled children are taking that study you referred to to heart and are still sleeping except for the two littlest ones who are up watching Peter and the Wolf--that's a classic right? It counts as literature and music study all rolled into one. Can you tell I drank one of those 5 hour energy drink things last night? (I promise it is only the third one I've ever had in my whole life. I used to look down on people who resorted to NoDoz at finals in college.)I think that we have now firmly established that I'm one of you sister.
Bring on the ice cream.

MaggieJo said...

I loved mornings, until I had babies waking me up multiply times throughout the night. Now I hate it, I hate night because I want to go to sleep, but I want to stay up (the only time kids are not following me everywhere), I hate mornings when I have to get up right after I just fell asleep. Well, if I can't sleep, I'll take ice cream!