Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I Double-dog Dare You!

What's the difference between a dare and a challenge?

When my kids were young I taught them that a dare is just a way for someone to get you to do something stupid you would never have done otherwise.  It's often for that person's entertainment at your expense.  Sometimes it's dangerous.  And it's almost never for your benefit.

But what about a challenge?  When someone issues a challenge, it's usually something you wouldn't have done otherwise as well.  Only you can decide if it's stupid.  And they believe it will be for your benefit.

That said, I have been challenged.  My good friend, Karen at Kazzy's Ponderings, has challenged me to write more often.  She has given me the Prolific Blogger Award and challenged me to be prolific.

Write more.  Hmm.

Am I up to the challenge?  I . . . think so.  Am I willing to try?  Yes.  Am I nervous?  Yes.

My posts are long and I don't want to overwhelm people with too many.  To write more means to write even when I don't feel like it; this means a greater chance that I'll tick people off.  And what if writing more means that I short-cut, that my writing suffers?  I don't want to write lame posts.

These are chances I'm willing to take.  I do like to push myself when it's something that appeals to me.  I do like making myself do things that scare me, when it's healthy.  And I do like to write.

As part of this award, I am to award it to others.  I choose the following:

Singing Devil - her posts are not as regular, but very entertaining and well written; I anticipate that she will post more when the semester ends and she has a little break from college

Crazy Eight - she's recently committed to one a day, I'd like to support her in that; plus, she's awesome!

Wardle's Wit - she adds humor and reality to parenting (and pictures)

Open Source Sonnets - a sonnet a day, c'mon, that deserves an award

Crank Up the Asay! - a bit of an irreverent look at life at BYU, with a bit of snarkiness

Pitatewer by Beth - a somewhat cynical look at life (a girl after my own heart), with some baking thrown in

Deeper Shade of Soul - the ups and downs of being a wife and mother

These are the rules:
1. Every winner of the Prolific Blogger Award has to pass on this award to at least seven other deserving prolific bloggers.
2. Each Prolific Blogger must link to the blog from which he/she has received the award (see above).
3. Every Prolific Blogger must link back to this post, which explains the origins and motivation for the award.
4. Every Prolific Blogger must visit this post and add his/her name in the Mr. Linky, so that we can get to know the other winners.

I accept the challenge and throw down the gauntlet to these fine writers.  C'mon, I dare you!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger K and D Roylance said...

Goodness what a ruthless challenge!! Well I guess that is when you look through my eyes....I'm happy to be the prolific reader OK?

March 24, 2010 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Jessica Grosland said...

Great, because I needed really needed more assignments. (*dramatic sigh and wink*)

Alright. I'll try to write more often. But you do realize that this means that many of my future posts will be a)completely pointless; b)completely boring; c)completely random; or d)completely psychotic.

You asked for it, buster. (*picks up the gauntlet*)

March 24, 2010 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Kazzy said...

Funny that both you and the Devil (the singing one) think posting more means your writing will suffer. I think just the opposite. Regular stretching of the muscles can only help. Thanks for accepting the challenge. I am excited. :)

March 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home