Friday, January 25, 2013

The Best Thing I've Ever Written

Not this post.  A different post.  In fact, several different posts.  Because every now and then I write one of those posts.  And someone comments or sends me a message or tells me in person that what I've just published on my blog is the best thing I've ever written.

Those are good days, I'm not gonna lie.  I enjoy hearing that from people.  But how can multiple posts be the best thing I've ever written?

When I first got that comment I tried to analyze my post.  What had I done differently?  What made this post better than other posts?  How could I replicate that?

And I've learned that it's not all about me and what I put out there.  That's part of it.  But another part, maybe a more important part, is what's going on in the reader's life when they read what I've written.

Sometimes I write funny, although mine is generally a dry wit.  Sometimes I write tragedy.  Sometimes I write philosophical.  Sometimes I write spiritual.  I even occasionally write slap stick.  And any of these could be the best post I've ever written -- for you, at that time.

My writing is most powerful when it touches something within the reader.  Maybe I made you laugh about something you were taking too seriously in your own life.  Maybe I answered a question you had.  Maybe I helped you find the path you were looking for.  Maybe I inspired you to make a change.  Maybe I offered you hope or strength when you needed it most.  Maybe I pointed out something so obvious that you've always known but have never told yourself.  Maybe only one sentence from an entire post pierces your heart but was exactly what you needed that day.  Or maybe so many other things.

The more I've blogged, the more I've learned that the best writing is a collaborative effort between the writer and the reader even if we never talk to each other about it.  And I am so lucky when I get to know that magic happened because someone who read what I wrote told me it touched their heart.

I hope I have many more best posts in me.  I hope you are moved by what I write.  I am honored to experience the magic with you.

Labels: , , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger anotherjennifer said...

So true. I wonder about some of my most popular posts. Usually people like them because they can relate to them. It's pretty cool, isn't it?

January 26, 2013 at 6:47 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

And this post really touched me. Good post!

Nancy

January 26, 2013 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger From Tracie said...

You are so right. Often what makes a post the best thing you've ever written really does have to do with where the reader is in their life at that moment.

I love the thought of writing being a collaborative effort between the writer and the reader. That is awesome.

I have often been moved by your writing.

January 26, 2013 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger Wombat Central said...

I agree--different posts definitely touch different readers. It can even depend on what they're feeling that day.

Stopped by from SITS. Love your header photo!

January 26, 2013 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Mommy's Heart said...

It is a very inspiring post that you wrote from the point of view of another blogger. This is the thing that keep me going on days when I do not want t write or I am dry of subjects...hoping that somewhere someone will truly think of my writing as amazing and it will help them in some way to find themselves...Thanks for putting it out there :)

January 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM  
Anonymous Mothering From Scratch said...

{Melinda} Love this. Yes, I think our job is not to try to "figure out a formula" but to share honestly and from the heart the message God has placed on our hearts. Then, in His perfect wisdom, He uses it touch multiple people in different ways. Your blog is always so heartfelt and transparent. That is what draws people to you.

January 26, 2013 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger 2busy said...

I hope that some of my writings are amazing. I have found that the pieces that I have poured myself into, the ones I consider my best writing, get very few if any comments. Yet, the pieces that are light and airy and quick get the most comments. It's interesting how that works out...

January 26, 2013 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Jean Wise said...

I think you are onto something here. It never ceases to amaze me when some post seem to write themselves. Then another one that I don't think is every good will generate all these positive comments. They almost take a life on on their own.

Please keep writing and lets "experience the magic" together. That line was great!

January 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Girliemom said...

there is certainly something to be said about the receiving of comments. it makes us feel joyful and keeps us writing! the challenge is moving a one time reader to a subscriber - people that want to continue to read what you have to say...

January 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Chris Carter said...

Sometimes the most powerful posts are just that because they resonate with the reader...it's all about who receives it and the impact our words have on them. Love this post Robin! It might be the BEST you've ever written. ;)

January 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM  
Blogger Christa aka The BabbyMama said...

Here's to more best posts to come!

January 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Tami Von Zalez said...

Kay Ms. Writer - I am throwing down the gauntlet for you to join 30DM2, Thirty Days minus 2 Writing Challenge at We Work for Cheese. I think you will have a blast. Tell Nicky I sent ya ...

Popped in from SITS Girls best post of the week.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

January 26, 2013 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger Tami Von Zalez said...

BTW Great blog header!

January 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger The Dose of Reality said...

SO well said! I could not agree more that the impact of a post definitely depends on the connection with the reader. I think that collaboration is true with most forms of art.

January 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM  
Blogger xtraleo said...

I visit your blog pretty often and must say that most of your post are one of the best you've ever written. I just written one of my best - I think - and only because it obviously resonated with a ton of readers. Ultimately, that's why I write. Love visiting your site. Visiting from SITS.

January 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM  
Anonymous Tess said...

The other readers are what keeps us writing awesome posts and like minds stick together! Visiting from SITS!

January 27, 2013 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

I have found this to be true of books. I've read books that other people LOVED and thought myself that they were rather ho hum. I've also LOVED books that other people think, "Wha . . ?" That's why I think we can't judge books as good or bad because we just don't know what will interact with another person's experiences and because of those experiences, what the book will mean to them. You are so right. It's not just the content. It's how the content mingles with the reader. Breathing Lessons comes to mind . . .

January 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Melissa G. said...

For what it's worth I always enjoy everything you write. I think you have an amazing talent. I however can barely reread anything I've written because once I hit "publish" I decide that it's rubbish and I hate it.

January 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM  
Anonymous MommieDaze said...

That is so true. When you write something the resonates with the readers you've got magic.

January 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM  
Anonymous Marina said...

well said! I felt very identified with what you say :)

February 24, 2013 at 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home