Monday, January 7, 2013

A Moment in Church

As I've begun this year trying to see more divinely, I've found that it has very little to do with my eyes and a lot to do with my heart.  In fact, with my whole soul.  I don't know why there isn't a name to describe what it means to feel something with your whole soul.  I know I'm not the only one who's felt it.  There should be a name for it.

Yesterday, as I sat in the chapel and the meeting began, I remembered to see.  I paused a moment and had an inward conversation with God and asked Him to help me see these people around me the way He sees them.  I opened my heart.  And He began to open my soul.  Just a tiny bit.  And I was flooded.  Intense and overwhelming love doesn't begin to describe what I felt in that tiny peek.  It was so intense that I shut my heart.  I had instantly started to cry and knew this was just a taste.  I wasn't ready for the display I might cause if I kept my heart open and allowed Him to continue pouring.

God, being who He is, respected that.  He found another way to teach me.  To give me a bit of what I was yearning for but I was ready to handle.  As the meeting progressed I was filled with the love the people in the room have for each other.

I am Mormon.  We don't search until we find a congregation that fits us.  Our church is divided into wards (congregations) based on boundaries.  Areas are divided up and we are assigned to a ward.  This means we go to church with our neighbors.  As I've written before, my neighborhood is amazing!  I wish I could explain it in a way that you could understand.  Someone who has moved away read that post and remarked that she missed our neighborhood because it was as close to Mayberry as she'd known.  That's a pretty good comparison.

The thing is, we are a family.  Like any family there are some people who don't always get along.  There are a few black sheep.  But mostly, we love and take care of each other.

And yesterday I felt that love in a way I never have before.  Instead of just feeling love for them, I felt everyone's love for each other.  All of them.  All at the same time.

In the Mormon church, the first Sunday of the month is Fast Sunday.  We are encouraged to prayerfully skip two meals in an effort to draw closer to God and donate what those meals would have cost to the ward.  This money is then used to help our neighbors as deemed appropriate by our bishop (pastor).  And on Fast Sunday we have testimony meeting.  Instead of our regular worship service where two or three members of our ward or stake (a group of wards) delivers a talk they have studied and prepared for, the pulpit is open to everyone.  It is a time when anyone from the congregation can get up and share their testimony with us.  Share what's in their hearts.

There were some beautiful testimonies shared.  But more than that, there was so much love.  It was the brave woman who talked about her recently broken home and asked for help.  She asked that we bear testimony to her children to strengthen them.  It was the woman who followed after her saying that if we'd been asked to give food to her family we wouldn't have hesitated; she asked that we not hesitate on this.  Several who testified pledged to support her and testify to her children.  It was the parents who bore testimony directly to their children so they would know their parents believe.  It was the awe mentioned by many as a young man we've all watch grow up passed the sacrament for the first time.  The love and pride we felt for him and his parents.  It was my dear friend who talked about living far from her family and her husband's family and reminded us that we are her family.  It was the dear sweet little six-year old girl who stood and testified that prayer is good and it will help us and make us happy.  And so much more.

I cried and cried.  The love my neighbors feel for each other is almost always evident.  We are a tight group.  But this day.  This day it was more.  It was palpable.  It filled the room.  My soul was swimming in it.  And God said, "It's kind of like that only better."

One day I hope to be able to let Him teach me the whole lesson.  For now, I'm grateful for the glimpse.

Labels: , , , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Grigg said...

Crying again friend.

January 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Heather Jo said...

Me too. That's exactly how I felt. It was beautiful, migraine and all. It buoyed me up through the rest of my meetings, when I would not have had strengthed otherwise. We live in a beautiful place with beautiful people all. Around.

January 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

It was a good day.

January 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I call those moments that Heavenly Father allows us "glimpses of eternity." I've had a few and they buoy me up. It's beautiful to see and feel a teeny bit like he does.

January 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger The Dose of Reality said...

This was just beautiful to read. I wish I had a church home where I felt this way and could receive this way. I'm so glad that you do.

January 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM  
Blogger xtraleo said...

This is beautiful. Beautiful. Thank you for stopping by BeQuoted. Returning the love #SITS

January 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM  
Anonymous tori nelson said...

I am big, sloppy crying. This is lovely and honest and real.

January 8, 2013 at 4:18 AM  
Blogger WhisperingWriter said...

Awesome. Very nice.

January 8, 2013 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Sadie Ussery said...

I love your post. So touching. Love it when the church works as a church. Love and support. God's love can be overwhelming most times...Keep digging deep.

January 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I'm am so overjoyed for you that you are finding and feeling this love. What an amazing blessing.

January 9, 2013 at 4:03 AM  
Blogger anotherjennifer said...

This is so beautiful. I feel happier just reading about your experience.

January 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM  
Anonymous Chris Carter said...

OH what a beautiful and powerful post!!! I was near tears reading it! Fellowship and unity with others in your faith is so so critical to our emotional and spiritual health! I love LOVE that peek into your heart of God's love. Just. Plain. AWESOME!

January 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Julie Jordan Scott said...

This sounds absolutely fantastic! What a great Sunday you had and now, through your writing, we experienced it a bit!

January 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Mothering From Scratch said...

{Melinda} You are so, so fortunate to have that kind of "Mayberry" community, Robin. I love it when God allows us to see a very real and powerful glimpse of His intense love. I always think He wants to show us so much more than we turn into or allow.

Beautiful post, as always. :)

January 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Michell Pulliam said...

Beautiful Robin! Jesus said this is how men will know that you are my disciples..."that you have love for one another". Jesus' entire ministry was based on one thing...LOVE! Thanks for sharing! Have a blessed week!

January 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Hope Reid said...

Beautiful post. I love that you go to church with your neighbors. What a fantastic way to build community and spiritual friendships."You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind. And you must love your neighbor as yourself." Luke 10:27 That's what it's all about. Blessings.

January 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Emily Lynne {The Best of this Life} said...

A lovely account to share - sounds like a really neat community you have at your chapel. Visiting from SITS today!

January 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM  
Anonymous Emily @ TheBusyMomsDiet said...

Such an awesome lesson! Thank you, and thank you for stopping by on my SITS Day last week! <3

January 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger tammy said...

Thanks for stopping by to share some comment love! :) Sounds like you have quite a year ahead of you as you continue to focus on "see". May it be filled with wonderful things, even if they are just a taste.

January 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home