Thursday, June 10, 2010

This is Just a Crisis

So, I got some great words of wisdom from a dog recently.  Okay, it wasn't really from a dog.  It was in a book written from a dog's perspective.  But this was a very wise dog.

In a difficult moment for his owner he said, "This is just a crisis, a flash in time."

I loved it.

When we hear crisis it is never connected with the word just.  Saying that it's just this seems to downplay it.  And that was the point.

It's easy to let a crisis take over our lives.  It's easy to get lost in the crisis, to hold onto it, to carry it with us.  But it's just a flash in time.  It's temporary.  Usually really, really temporary.

So if it's such a small part of life, why does it have such power?  I think it's because it's almost always painful.  We are always more aware of pain than lack of pain. 

Unless you've been in pain for a very long time I doubt you get out of bed in the morning and say, "Wow!  I'm not in pain today."  But I'll bet all of us have gotten out of bed and said, "I don't feel good" or "Ouch, that hurts."

I certainly do not mean to minimize crises.  They suck.  They hurt.  They can be devastating.

But we don't need to give them anymore power than they take.  And I think sometimes we do.  I know I do.

There have been times in my life when I was in deep personal crisis, I mean deep enough that my therapist wanted to see me twice a week and called me at home to check up on me.  And then something happened, something out of the blue, that distracted me for a while.  For a brief while I was not thinking about myself and my situation.  And the dark sky got a little lighter.

The problems didn't go away, but I seemed to have a slightly different perspective -- a little more power to go on.  It's not a cure, just another tool to fight with.

So, in my next personal crisis, I will try to remember that it is just a flash in time.  The sky will clear again someday.  Birds will sing.  And I will laugh.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

You just... augh! You just made my day. :) What book is it?

June 11, 2010 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Isn't that the truth. My oldest daughter's grandmother once told me that you can make it through anything if you know it's only for a short time. It has helped me make it through a lot to know ... "it's just a crisis."
It's a paradox, because I also believe in processing pain while we've got it, not storing it to make us sick later. When someone in our family gets hurt, they know to stop and feel it, nourish it, heal it, and let it go, right then and there. And my mother once said that the way to deal with pain was to work with it, not run away from it. Instead of getting angry about my father's snoring, she used to find the rhythm in it and flow with the rhythm. Works sometimes for the pain that doesn't go away quickly, or you don't know how long it will stay, like giving birth. It's just a crisis. What a wonderful way to embrace ALL that life offers.

June 11, 2010 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger Kazzy said...

Getting outside of ourselves... great possible solution. Thanks.

June 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger MaggieJo said...

Thank you Robin. This post is rather timely. It's just a crisis.

June 11, 2010 at 2:53 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

Great thoughts, as always, Robin. Thanks!

June 13, 2010 at 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home