Friday, June 18, 2010

Things I am Totally Hypocritical About

May I just tell you how much I HATE hypocrisy?  I can't stand it when people preach one thing and do something completely opposite.  Who do they think they are?  Are they so righteous that the rules don't apply to them?  Man, the superiority complex.

Have you ever heard that those things which irritate us most in others are frequently the traits we hate about ourselves?

Allow me to present Exhibit A -- Me.  (There's really only one exhibit, but in all the law shows they always label them with letters and it just sounds stupid without it.)

*Don't eat at the computer.  Oh, how many times I have chanted this mantra.  The amount of punishment I have dished out.  The frustration I've expressed at the greasy mouse and crumby keyboard.  Don't these kids know how to take care of anything?

Exhibit A -- Me sitting at the computer after the kids have gone to bed, eating chips (greasy ones, crumby ones) and placing my full glass of milk on the desk right next to the mouse.

*Get plenty of sleep.  Why do kids ever give up naps?  Why do they get up early when they don't have to go to work or school?  Why do they think summertime means they are entitled to stay up as late as they want because they don't have to get up early to go to work or school?  Don't they realize that their minds and bodies need sleep in order to function properly and be healthy?

Exhibit A -- Me staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning because the house is finally quiet.  Reading a book.  Watching the latest episode of The Good Wife.  Blogging.  And suddenly realizing that it's 4:30am and I'd better go to sleep soon or my husband will catch me awake when he gets up to go to work in an hour -- BUSTED!  Wondering why I find everyone so irritating the next day.

*Don't spend so much time on the computer.  I have to monitor the time my kids spend on the computer like a hawk or they would be on it all day.  It's not healthy for my son to play World of Warcraft for five hours straight, only to take a break when I call him up for dinner.  It's not okay with me that my daughter has been on facebook for the past two hours taking quizzes and feeding her pets.  Their bodies need physical exercise, not just their fingers.

Exhibit A -- Me telling my kids that I ran errands and did laundry while they were at school.  Of course I wasn't on the computer all day.  While I secretly know that I read 68 blog posts, played 25 games of solitaire, and took care of my pet on facebook.

*Walk into the other room to talk to me; don't shout.  Don't call me on the cell phone from the living room.  I chastise every person I live with for this one at least a couple of times a week.  I mean seriously, you can't get up and walk the fifteen steps it would take to communicate with me without shouting?  Do I not deserve a little more consideration than that?  Are you really that lazy?

Exhibit A -- Me yelling at Kid 4 to leave Kid 5 alone from my bedroom while they are in the living room.  Me calling Kid 3 on her cell phone to wake her up in the morning because I don't want to get out of bed.

*Be kind.  Why is it so hard for siblings to be nice to each other?  Can you really not walk past her without touching her?  Can't you say something nice about that person instead of always tearing them down?

Exhibit A -- Me and a couple of friends griping about a neighbor who's driving us crazy.

Unfortunately, I rest my case.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger CHERRANNE said...

Robin....You are Exhibit A for AWESOME! LOL.........................................Love it.

June 18, 2010 at 2:39 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Chuckling. Hypocrisy is the fastest way to perfection, because it literally invites everyone around us to respond to our imperfection. Congratulations! You will be translated very soon.

June 18, 2010 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger Dona said...

Select your comment.
-Amen
-OK fine
-I stand (sit) corrected
-that post hit too close to home
-You were talking about me, I know it.
-All of the above

June 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger Kazzy said...

This was fun! I laughed at your post, and then I laughed at all of the comments. :)

My biggest hypocrisy...encouraging people in my family to get exercise. Ugh. I am the worst at sticking to my exercise plans.

June 18, 2010 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger M @ Betty Crapper said...

Funny. You are right because mom is always right. No excuses necessary

Visiting from SITS

June 19, 2010 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger JDaniel4's Mom said...

Stopping from SITS! I have so work to do in these areas too.

June 21, 2010 at 4:00 AM  
Blogger Debbi said...

It's so hard to not be a hypocrite! We want our kids to be better than us. To not pick up our bad habits. Unfortunatly they learn from example. It's hard to change our ways. Thank you for stopping by my blog for the SITS potluck!

June 22, 2010 at 12:17 AM  
Blogger MelRoXx said...

I laughed out loud at this post! Dropping by from SITS. xxx

June 22, 2010 at 12:28 AM  
Blogger The Redhead Riter said...

LOL My daughter and I text each other when we are both in bed. Neither one of us wants to get up and we aren't going to yell either, so we text! LOL I love it!

June 22, 2010 at 5:36 AM  
Blogger K and D Roylance said...

Ditto Dona!

June 22, 2010 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Cheryl D. said...

Wow, you're such a hypocrite!

But I'm one too! LOL! Great post! Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

August 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home