Friday, August 2, 2013

When I Don't Get What I Want

Sometimes I don't get what I want. 

I'd like to be all mature and say that I see these moments as growth opportunities and I'm happy for the person who did get what I wanted.  I'd like to say that I roll with it and get all zen and peaceful and wish the universe well in its grand plan.  I'd like to say all those things, but then I would be lying.

Oh, I've learned to be a good sport when I lose at a game.  Or when we don't go to the restaurant I want.  Or even when someone wakes me up when I wanted to sleep.  (Not all the time, but usually.)

But sometimes I stare the universe in the eye and say, "I want my life to be like THIS.  Exactly like THIS.  Pay attention to what I'm telling you -- make it like THIS!"  I feel like the universe and I understand each other.  I see the universe nodding in agreement.  And then the universe goes and does whatever the heck it wants.

Seriously, it sucks.

I thought the universe and I were friends.  I thought the universe had my best interests at heart.  I thought we were in this together.

But I didn't get what I wanted.  I feel ripped off and picked on.  By the entire universe.

And you know what's worse?  Do you know what the real slap in the face is?  That stupid universe is right.  Like, every single time. 

It never fails.  I am sure I've got it figured out.  I am sure I know what is best for me.  I'm sure I've got the upper hand in my battle with the universe this time.

And before too long I am looking at the universe with its slight, Mona Lisa smile.  And the universe knows it has won again.  It does not brag.  It doesn't need to.  Its power is evident for all to see.

And I am forced to not only humble myself and say, "You were right."  I find myself bowing my head time and again saying, "Thank you."  (But I still mumble under my breath, "Stupid universe.")

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Grigg said...

Stupid universe indeed. No seriously. I really did say stupid universe today. No I will go find the universe and apologize. Thanks for reminding me, Genius mama!

August 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM  
Blogger Savvy WorkingGal said...

Stupid universe - I like that phrase. I too sometimes feel like I'm still a child throwing temper tantrums internally when I don't get what I want. Then there is that balance of asking or longing for what you need vs. what you want.

August 3, 2013 at 6:37 AM  
Blogger Felicia Moore said...

This post reminds me the song "You can't always get what you want" by the Rolling Stones. It really does suck that you don't always get what you want, but as the song goes, "If you try sometimes, well you might find, you get what you need."

August 3, 2013 at 7:04 AM  
Blogger The Dose of Reality said...

You are SO RIGHT! It's irritating to not get what you want...but then it turns out (as it does SO often) that the universe was RIGHT?! Yep. You can only say "thanks" but I love the mumbled "stupid universe" Hahahah.

I know two of the things in my life I was MOST disappointed about not getting that turned out exactly that way. GO figure! Thanks (stupid universe)!! --Lisa

August 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM  
Anonymous Sheila Skillingstead said...

Ah, you made me smile. The Universe does get what it wants. We just need to take what the Universe is willing to give and there is so much available. Unfortunately, I too, do not get what I want from The Universe. Visiting from Saturday Sharefest.

August 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Teresa said...

If only the universe would take a day off of giving us what we need and take us out for ice cream instead.

I enjoyed your post. Until next time...

August 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM  
Blogger Jennice Powell said...

I try not to question the universe but we in our human stubborness can't help it. #SITSsharefest

August 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM  
Blogger Dawnelle said...

LOVE IT! "Stupid universe"! How many times have I felt that way?! But I love the comment on just taking us out for ice cream. Oh, yes! I'm all for that!

I think you encompassed my last three blog posts into one eloquent. :) I'm such a rebellious child! I, too, just want my way!

August 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I like to think Elijah said, "Stupid universe," sometimes too.

August 3, 2013 at 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home