Friday, July 20, 2012

Avoiding the News

Today is one of those days.  It's one of those days when I just can't watch or listen to or read the news.  I'll need to go without news for a day or two.

I've spent the morning listening to news of the shooting in Aurora, Colorado.  It's gut wrenching.  Heart breaking.  Horrific.  It's making me sick.  So I have to stop for a bit.

As a general rule I watch the national news every night.  I download it and watch it on my computer.  I usually play solitaire or something while I half watch it.  The reason I do it this way is because too often there are things shown on the news that I just can't stomach.  When I can tell a story like that is coming, like Syria, I maximize the game window.  I still get informed, but those images aren't burned into my brain.

Some days that's enough.  Listening but not watching.  Getting the info but not the images.

But not on days like today.

I've been kind of a news junkie since high school.  I remember spending hours watching news stories unfold as more information came in.  All day long checking in, waiting to get the whole story.  Sometimes it took many days.

I just can't do that anymore.  It's not that I don't have the time or the access.  I don't have the stomach.  I just can't take it.

Today I am heart-sick thinking of the families involved, those still struggling for their lives in hospitals, those who were in the theater who will deal with post-traumatic stress for years, and all of the people trying to make sense of it.  Which is impossible.  It was senseless.

My heart and prayers are with anyone touched by this event.  May they find strength, peace, and comfort.  I pray that the goodness of people will shine through rather than the ugly.  I pray that it will unite rather than divide.  I pray that we will all heal.  And I know it will take time.

8 comments:

denisemalloy.com said...

Like you, I've been avoiding anything to do with the news this morning. My thoughts go out to the individuals and families whose lives were impacted by this horrific event. As the mother of two teens who would attend a midnight opening of a movie like this, I'm almost physically ill thinking of these tragic events. It's all so senseless.

Suz said...

I have been avoiding the news for years. I makes me sad sometimes to think that I have brought children into this world. My hubby thinks that there have been worse times. The media and technology throw so much in our faces.
I don't have time for TV anyway.

Luv
Suz

Hannah said...

I'm right there with you.

Shannon said...

We used to watch the evening news just about every night while eating dinner. We've since stopped (in fact, I hardly ever watch the news anymore)... I think it was mostly because I was becoming aware that my kids were becoming aware of what they were seeing/hearing on the TV. I know kids don't need to be sheltered from everything that goes on in the world, but I do think there are some things a 6 year old need not know.

Student Mommy said...

THAT is very clever!!! I hate the news because I don't want images burned into my mind - I reflect and then they're stuck. VERY CLEVER!!!! I'm so grateful to all the women on SITS. I really appreciate the input and idea's everyone has. Be blessed Miss Robin.

Not Everyones Mama said...

I was just thinking this morning that the news the last few days has been horrible. I let myself get angry last night but it didn't make me feel any better. :(

Stopping by from SITS.

Raquel said...

I am with you Robin. It is so horrifying that things like this happen in the world. I have learned more about the poor victims of this senseless crime and it makes it harder to acknowlege what happened, but I vow to remember them. There are some wonderful things that bloggers are doing to raise money for the victims families, and I try to focus on that.

Mothering From Scratch said...

{Melinda} I was at an out-of-town conference when I heard the news and was actually glad I had little access to news during those first few days of coverage. My human brain and heart cannot comprehend it. All I can think is, Dear Jesus, please help them.