Monday, July 23, 2012

A Moment Out of Life

It's easy to get caught up living life according to a checklist.  Get up.  Get dressed.  Eat breakfast.  Clean yourself up.  Go to work.  Go to lunch.  Go back to work.  Go home.  Make dinner.  Eat.  Brush your teeth.  Watch TV.  Go to bed.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Check.  Check.  Check.

Or to just fall into the routine of flowing from one thing you always do to another thing you always do.  With no empty moments to allow something powerful.

That's the way my day started.  I got up.  Ate breakfast.  Did some stuff on the computer.  Got cleaned up.  Went to the movie.  Thing after thing.  Average.

And then there was a moment.  As we drove home and it was quiet.  I looked ahead and saw a flock of birds flying directly in my line of sight.  Eye level, right across the road a few feet ahead of us.

I'm not sure why they caught my eye.  It's not like I don't see birds flying around all the time.  But this moment grabbed me.

Maybe it was because they were smaller than most birds I see.  In perfect formation.  Flying with such power and purpose.

And I was struck by their magic.  I watched their wings and wondered at the power and mechanics involved.  Flight is an amazing thing.  Something we see so often we forget how incredible it is.

They were just so beautiful in that moment.  So magical.  So wondrous.  It was a pure moment.  Like time slowed down.  Kind of like the birds and I were all that existsed and the rest of the world faded away.  It filled me with peace and awe and a sense of the divine.

Pure moments are everywhere.  Like when I overheard a child thank someone today without being told to.  Or heard another child trying to think through why the escalator wasn't running.

They are just tiny moments.  If we are just moving from thing to thing we miss them.  But they are the magic of life.

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie Atkinson said...

Yes!! I love these! I was just writing last night about grace and stopped to pop over to this: http://www.dovesandserpents.org/wp/2012/07/gp-that-amazing-grace/ by Carol Lynn Pearson. That happens to me so often and I love how it makes me feel - connected to God, like he's willing to tip his hand sometimes and share a smile with me about what we're watching together.

July 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM  
Blogger Alethea Noble said...

Beautiful!!

July 23, 2012 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger Rubye Jack said...

As you know Robin, I don't believe in God but when these moments happen they always make me stop and think - "thank you God". :)

July 24, 2012 at 5:12 AM  
OpenID denisemalloy.com said...

Thank you for this lovely reminder to be present. It is that string of tiny moments that is our life and I don't want to miss a moment.

July 24, 2012 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger Kristin Leamy said...

Beautifully said!

July 26, 2012 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

Sadly, I am wound so tight I am not noticing moments lately. Thanks for reminding me to stop, look and listen.
Luvs
Suz

July 26, 2012 at 7:06 PM  
Anonymous Liz Barker said...

I understand where you are coming from on this. So often we forget to "stop and smell the roses". Thanks for the reminder. We need to treasure the little moments each day.

July 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Evanthia of merelymothers said...

I just love moments like this. I don't know if you're a religious person, but as I get older, I sometimes feel like these moments are signs from a greater power that I need to slow down and appreciate what I normally ignore in trying to complete my day-to-day routine.

Beautifully written!

July 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM  
OpenID omgyummy.com said...

Yes! I couldn't agree more and very well said. Yesterday I picked my kids up from the summer camp they work at and used to attend and everything about that place is filled with small moments of wonder - kids without electronics all having a good time from the age of 5 - 25. I could sit there and watch and enjoy it all afternoon long but who ever does??? Saying hi from SITS!

July 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Eclipsed said...

Moments like that come to us every once in a while and they take my breath away. I need to be reminded that those moments are there every day, everywhere if we just take the time to be moved by them.

July 31, 2012 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Moments like these take my breath away. I feel as if an angel was sent my way, giving me a nudge that despite all, life is so much more beautiful than I think.

August 2, 2012 at 2:19 AM  
Anonymous Modern Gypsy said...

Moments like that just make you stop, smile and give up a silent prayer of gratitude for all the tiny things that make life beautiful.

Dropping by from SITS. :)

August 2, 2012 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Blond Duck said...

I hope you're feeling better!

August 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home