Saturday, October 9, 2010

Where's My Duct Tape?

Often, when people ask me how I am, I reply that I am holding on -- with both hands and a roll of duct tape.

I misplaced my duct tape.

I say this because my life slipped out of my hands a bit recently.  I was stuck doing triage.  Hitting those life or death things, but missing the details.

I kept the electricity on.  We had food in the house.  My kids went to school.

But I fell down on some things, too. 

I have been sleeping too little at night and too much during the day.  I haven't been eating much.  I stayed home almost all the time, usually not getting dressed for the day until my kids were about to get home from school.  Or after they did and I had to take them somewhere.

Basically, I quit doing things for me.  I spent so much time trying to put out fires that I forgot to make sure my firesuit was secure.  And I got a little burnt.

Once I find myself there, it's tricky to get out.  It's a steep climb without any gear.  Because I left all my gear on the ledge I fell off of.

But it's still there.  I know where it is this time.  I have some spotters who will help keep me from plummeting to my death.  I've made the climb before.

And I've finally figured out what the duct tape is.  It's self-care.  I've got several rolls stashed in various areas of my life.

Now if I can just remember what I'm looking for when I walk into the room that has it.  Then I'll be all set.

11 comments:

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

Oh, MissRobin, why does this post make me so sad? I think because I completely see myself in your words. I need to care for myself. I need to put my own oxygen mask on before securing the mask for my children, so the saying goes. Yet I find myself constantly putting my own needs away. I don't deserve that, someone else needs that more, that's something for later, etc. I think I've forgotten what's valuable about myself. I need to think on that today.

Just Another Person said...

missrobin. Yes, self-care is very important, and it is something that I struggle to do constantly. I can see that you are trying really hard to stay on top of things. And I personally think it's okay to take breaks sometimes. Soon you will want to start taking care of yourself better. So that you can take care of your loved ones better. Remember, small step at a time! And every steps counts.

hey blogging is a form of self-care! You are doing it! You haven't given up everything! Goodluck

Kazzy said...

Maybe I am selfish, but the self-care part of my life really really matters to me. I throw my needs right there into the mix of family, church, work, school. I am part of the family element.

I am so much happier and future-thinking when I feel better about myself. I hope you find what you need.

Dawnelle said...

I blogged about this recently. Take a look and tell me what you think (if you want to). :)

ridgely johnson said...

Your children are blessed to have you- just keep one part here- we'll help with the duct tape ;)

SenoraG said...

Self care always seems to go by the wayside for us doesn't it? It's the most important but we so easily put ourselves aside for everyone else.

At least you know you are not alone, we are all here willing to lend our duct tape!

Jamee @ A New Kind of Normal said...

I hope you are able to make time for YOU soon! Take care of yourself!

Thank you for visiting my blog and your kind comments! You helped to make my SITS day amazing!

Libby said...

Yes self care is so important and I'm not sure why some of us overlook it (me included). Be good to yourself Miss Robin.

Leslie Limon said...

This is so well written.

Like some of the others, this is something I am constantly struggling with. That and guilt, when I do put my needs first.

And I just wanted to say thank you for visiting on my SITS day.

Mel ~ said...

ok, WHAaa?! Did you have a camera in my house cause I think you are writing about me!
I love these two last posts and can't wait to read more.
Mel~

Domestic Goddess said...

I love your analogy that self-care is the duct tape. Great!

thanks for visiting my blog.