Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Power Songs

I can admit it.  When I started therapy a few years ago I was lost.  My life was a mess, everything from my past was catching up with me and holding me hostage, and I had no idea who I was.  It was an ugly time.

While I think we all routinely redefine ourselves, some of us have more trouble with it.  If you've ever been in an abusive situation, where you had to be the person your abuser wanted you to be in order to be safe, it is so much more difficult.

As I worked through some things I began to discover who I was.  I began to choose who I would be.  Part of this process for me was putting together some power songs.  I put together three cds of music that help me center myself.  Connect with my soul.  Find my power core again.

Each song was chosen for a reason.  I wanted to accept and represent the many facets of who I am.  It would take too long to explain them all, so instead I broke them down into basic categories. 

I provided links so you could check out the song if you wanted to.  Please remember to be wise in your time management.  I am not responsible if you start clicking and find yourself wasting an hour (or more). 

Also, I'd love to hear about any power songs you might have.

I am strong all by myself:
   *I Will Survive
   *Independent Woman
I am in charge of my life - I set my rules - I deserve respect:
   *Boss of Me
   *We're Not Gonna Take It
   *It's My Life
   *Any Man of Mine
   *Video
   *Appletree
   *Nasty
I am powerful - I can change the world:
   *Wonder Woman Theme
   *Man in the Mirror
I am a sexual being - I can be bad if I want to
   *Need You Tonight
   *Hot Blooded
   *Hurts So Good
   *It's Raining Men
   *Like a Virgin
   *Hungry Like the Wolf
   *Devil Inside
Self-definition - PMS songs:
   *Bitch
   *Cold as Ice
   *Witchy Woman
   *You Gotta Be
Gallows humor - Irreverent - I want to inflict pain
   *Dirty Deeds
   *Dirty Laundry
   *Little Black Backpack
   *Bark at the Moon
I hate men - men suck - daddy issues:
   *Bugaboo
   *Perfect
   *Where Have All the Cowboys Gone
   *Wonderful
   *Voices Carry
   *Spiderwebs
   *When Doves Cry
   *No Scrubs
   *I Kicked a Boy
   *There You Go
Just love the song - fun to sing:
   *Lovefool
   *Major Tom
   *Lady Marmalade
   *I Like it Like That
   *This is Halloween
   *Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
   *Popular
   *I'm Like a Bird
   *What I Am
   *Scar Tissue
   *Ugly Girl
   *Bad Moon Rising
   *Try Again
   *Juke Box Hero
   *Renegade
   *Zombie (dance mix)
   *El Tango de Roxanne
   *Whip It

23 comments:

Kazzy said...

I remember some of these from back in the aerobic days. :)

Songs can transport us. I like your list.

MaggieJo said...

I know this is lame, but when I broke up with my first boyfriend at 17 I hit a real low. "I'll be okay" from My Best Friend's Wedding soundtrack saved me some days. I still pull it up when I need a little bit of a power up. I'll be ok. Music is so powerful!!!

Sherri said...

love love love the playlist!! what a great idea!

i think that my theme song right now is "alive and kicking" by simple minds....

i may have to snag your idea and compile a list of my own.... you don't mind do you?

The Erin said...

My happy song (for bringing me up from even my foulest of moods) has, for a long time, been "Cabin Fever" from Muppet Treasure Island. I have never been able to stay sad or angry for long when that song is about.

Also, I'm very much a fan of what I like to call "sexy angst" songs. This categorizes all the songs that I like on the days that I feel sexy but want to be alone, or the songs that are playfully dark. A couple of the best are "October and April" and "Immortal" by The Rasmus, "Trouble is a Friend" by Lenka, "Black Mirror" by The Arcade Fire, and "Dream On" The Glee cast version (originally by Aerosmith)

There are a lot more... I have a whole "sexy angst" playlist... but those are a few of the very best.

Kelly Latour said...

I turn to music whenever I am emotional. My husband often says he can tell my mood by what i'm listening to!

Some of my favourites:
Flawed Design- Stabilo
4 and 20- Joss Stone
Paper Bag- Anna Nalick
I Just Wanna Be Mad- Terri Clarke
Jeans On- Keith Urban
That's When I Love You-Asyln
It's Not Me, It's You- Prozzak
Breathe- Anna Nalick
Be That Girl- Aslyn
Smile- James Marsters

Enjoy!!!!

Libby said...

Now I know we should be best friends! And when I just want to have a big cry King of May

Lisa said...

Mmm... I love them all! Thanks for sharing. :-) Do you have them on a playlist? Seperate? or all together?

misssrobin said...

@Lisa: I have them on a playlist on my phone, my mp3 player, and my laptop and on cds for the house and car. I never know when I'm going to need them so I've got to cover my bases.

Aspiring Millionaire said...

Great list. I have been thinking about compiling my own the last week and you have just inspired me to do it.

I have different songs for different moods and my hubby doesn't understand. He just likes Reggae, all day every day and some old school RNB, nothing else, unlike me.

Following from SITS.

Life with Kaishon said...

What an extensive collection! : )
I love Katie Perry's Fireworks song.
I could listen to it all day!

AB HOME Interiors said...

Great list. A lot of these take me back! I remember in college turnin up the radio to Sock it to me. Wasn't much of a song that I liked, but all my girls did and the memories of being in that car, all singing at the top of our lungs, laughing definitely puts me in a great mood!

LBDDiaries said...

Oh GREAT, I was hoping to get off the computer and get some work done today - what have you done to me??? Just kidding but I DO have to go check out all these songs and revisit some good oldies! Thanks!!

grownupforeal said...

You are so right to make a disclaimer. My plan was to check on your latest post, make a comment and get back to my blog. Now, you've got me reminiscing and playing songs in my head and wanting to click on your links.

My power songs are too many. I have an iPod full of them. I may make a post like this one day soon and I'll give you all the credit.

\Thanks for sharing these...

Stephi said...

Hi Robin, You have just given me a great idea, I think I am going to organise playlists on itunes once I get my laptop back- a list of songs that will empower me!

"I will survive" has been a longtime favorite. I was in the car with my Dad and the other day and we had had an arguemnet- he says some incredibly cruel things when he's angry. This song then came on the radio- I hadn't heard it in ages. It was a good omen:)

bluecottonmemory said...

I've wanted to do a play list for a long time. One song would be "forever young" - it is so full of hope and promise:)

If I didn't have sons, I probably wouldn't have blinked at "men suck" - however, I want my guys to grow up to become awesome men who love their wives beautifully! And I want their wives to think they are married to awesome men.

I just heard this song tonight - and I think it is my new mom-of-teen-anthem. It just made me cry."I won't let go":
http://www.cmt.com/dynamic_templates/videos/video.jhtml?videoContentTypeId=1&type=&videoId=599179#fbid=0HGlCUWWSWK

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

What about some songs that remind you how beautiful you are? Like Just the Way you Are by Bruno Mars? Or Beautiful by Christina Aguilera? You need some of those!!!

Lynn from For Love or Funny said...

LOL! So many of your songs are my favorites, too! I really like State of Independence by Donna Summer...it's probably my all time fave. Stopping by from SITS!

Heidi said...

music speaks to me too, girl!

love that you have the wonder woman theme on your list!

:)

thanks for visiting on my SITS day.

Cheers!
~heidi

Caren with a "C" said...

Stopping by to say "hi". I like "I will Survive!" When I'm in a mood.

ElizOF said...

Wow! You put together an impressive list of songs and I like the way you grouped them. I Will Survive is a favorite... Must check out the others soon. Stopped by to say Happy SITS Share fest day!
Elizabeth

Day said...

How did I possibly miss this post?

I don't always think in albums, but there are a few that are so good I listen to them over and over. . Muse's The Resistance is fantastic for making me want to get up and do something. . . Mozart's Requiem (as long as you have a good recording) has similar effects--and Aurthur Grumeaux's recordings of Bach's solo violin pieces is really, amazingly spectacular. Those are the easiest to mention, of the music I draw strength from.

Your list is really interesting. And I don't consider exploring new music to be a waste of time, if I have the time to spend. :)

One Reader said...

Just came over from the comment you left on my story and wanted to tell you thanks so much. Also I have one of these playlists myself. Music heals :)

Stefanie O'Connell said...

Yes! Love me some "Man in the Mirror" and "You Gotta Be"