Thursday, December 23, 2010

With Wonder and Awe

I listen to the birds outside my window.  It is almost Christmas, there are several inches of snow on the ground, and those birds are still here.  Still chirping away.  And I wonder.  What kind are they?  What keeps them here?  How do they survive?

As I've gotten older I'm afraid I've lost much of my ability to wonder.  Things just don't amaze me like they have in the past.  Is it age?  Is it depression?  Who knows.

But there are still moments.  Moments when time stands still. 

When I hold a sleeping newborn.  I look at this being.  I behold this creature.  And I am filled with awe.  I gaze lovingly.  I glory in its magnificence.  I am overwhelmed by its very being.

I sit on my porch at midnight on a summer evening.  All is quiet.  Except for nature.  Nature composes the most incredible symphonies.  And she plays them in the dark of night.  The crickets.  The wind.  Leaves rustling.  An owl.  And the stillness.  The stillness is a player in the orchestra.  The stars play their chords.  It is breathtaking.

A moment of clarity.  In a room full of people.  During a busy day.  All has been rushed.  Then something clicks.  A look.  A word.  A phrase.  A thought.  All is made clear in my mind in that moment and I am awash in peace.  Clarity.  Calm.

These are the moments when I know I am more.  We are more.  More than we can possibly understand.

13 comments:

Survivor said...

I love it! I, too, enjoy those moments you describe. Would it be to telling to admit I once went onto my patio at night, naked, to dance in the rain.

Beth said...

Demmed Sparrows. :) But I love this post. It makes me pause and remember why I really love this world...

Kazzy said...

I love how those moments of clarity can just pop up out of nowhere, when we least expect them. But I suppose that's what makes them so clear and important.

And I have something to show you that I believe will move you. Let me know when you have a moment in the next few days.

Kelly Latour said...

The birds that are still around my house are sparrows and doves, who both live in eaves and scrounge for food. I love their chirps, so I constantly have food out for them.
The beauty and stillness of the moment is hard to put into words, and yet you described it perfectly! I always look forward to your posts and your comments on mine. Thank you so much for writing for all of us to see!
Have a great holiday with your lovely family and enjoy a few more moments!

Cheryl D. said...

I love those moments of clarity! I wish I had more of them.

Stephi said...

Merry Christmas Miss Robin. Thank you for such a beautiful post. I think that maybe it's a comibination of age and depression that takes away those moments of awe at the world. I remember as a teenager being in absolute wonder of anything from the pattern of the bark on a tree to looking at the Milky Way. It's sad because now I just don't notice anymore- but like you I still have those moments:) I live in the country so there is lots way to have the stillness about me.

Hope you have had a great day!

LBDDiaries said...

Beautiful post - so well expressed. It brought me peace just reaching it! It inspires me to be more aware of the wonder around me. I think in my life, it means gratitude for being alive!

bluecottonmemory said...

I think the most amazing moments that seep deep into our souls are quiet moments, like the ones you describe! I've always laughed that silence is the most beautiful sound of all! The quiet times, the sound of my boys talking softly at bedtime,watching a spider re-build its web in a storms, the cat stalking a bird on a summer evening, and watching the snow fall! What a beautiful post for a very loud time of year:)

May your New Year be filled with blessings and joy:)

criticalcrass said...

this was a lovely post. :]

criticalcrass said...

oh! and i meant to tell you that i dig the layout!

Kristy said...

And, all the "more" you are seeking is already inside yourself.

Libby said...

I love those moments too... and I'm very much a wonder and awe person. I'm like a small child when gardening, I stop to study every single spider, insect and grub to contemplate their existence. Where are they going? What drives them on?

Michelle Saunderson said...

I feel exactly the same way. Great post, so insightful.