Friday, April 26, 2013

Tell Me What You Know About God

Or what you believe.  Or think.  Or understand to be true.  Or wonder.

And then I'll tell you what I know and we'll both be better for it.

If I tell you what I know, and it's different from what you know, will you take offense?  Will it cause bad feelings between us?  Will you feel judged by me?  Will you feel superior to me?

If I tell you what I know, and you are unsure about God, will it make you feel insecure?  Will you feel like I'm trying to convert you?  Will you feel like I'm trying to tell you what to believe?

If you tell me what you know, will it be because you want to convert me?  Will it be because you feel it's your duty?  Will it be because you have truth that I should have?  Will it be because you care for me?  Will it be to condemn me?

If I tell you what I know about God, will it make you uncomfortable?

If you tell me what you know about God, will you try to use it to control me?

I'm fascinated by the beliefs of others.  My faith (the faith within me, not my church) brings me so much joy.  I wish everyone could experience it.  But I don't believe my faith is the only way to find joy.  I believe truth brings joy.  I believe there is a lot of truth out there that I don't know yet.

I've spent my whole life surrounded by people who were almost all members of the same church as me.  I used to think that meant we all had the same perception and understanding of God.  As I've grown I've learned this is not at all true.  There are some general things most of us believe, but there are also differences.  We know different things.

Because you can study and research and ponder every word that has ever been written about God and not know Him as well as a little girl who prays when she is scared.  This little girl who feels something outside of herself that makes her feel safe.  This little girl who feels a strength beyond her own.  If all you do is read and study and ponder, she will know more about God than you do.  Because she will know God.

Maybe you've felt something, sensed something, been aware of something beyond what you can explain.  Maybe you aren't ready to call that God.  Or maybe you call it something else.  I'd love to hear your story.

Or maybe you've never had a sense of anything beyond this world and think others are deceiving themselves.  That it's a happy fairy tale we use to make this world a little less scary.  I'd love to hear your story, too.

A few simple truths I know about God.  My truth.  (People say truth is truth and we can't have different truths, but I don't believe that.  Because our truth isn't just about what is true.  Our truth is also based on who we are and how we can receive it and process it.)

God is aware of each of us individually.  He was once like us.  He experienced mortal life on a world like ours.  He is now God because of the way He lived that life.  He earned it.  He is the Father of our spirits.  He has a physical body but not like ours.  His body is perfected.  And as His children, we have the potential to become like Him.  To do wonderful things after this life.  And hard things, too.  To continue to grow and progress and become.

As our Father, He hurts with us.  He allows difficult things to happen but almost never causes them.  He knows the best us we can be.  He knows hard things are how we get there.  He knows we are strengthened by the resistance of trials.

He knows me.  My life is better when I turn to Him and let Him guide me.  He does not control or force.  If we want Him to be a part of our lives, we have to choose to invite Him.  He waits for that invitation and it brings Him joy to answer it.  We are His purpose.

These are some of my truths about God.  As I grow and learn and experience some of them might change.  Some of my truths will be expanded upon.  I might see others from a different angle.  And some of them may no longer be my truths.  It will be fun to see.

Now I've told you some of what I know about God.  All those questions I asked in the beginning, I'm asking again.  Do you feel threatened by my truths?  Do you feel judged by my truths?  Do you feel superior to me because of my truths?  Do my truths align with yours or challenge yours?

I would love it if you'd share some of your truths with me.  Or just thoughts or feelings or questions.  Questions we can ponder together.  Tell me what you know about God.

**********
I welcome all opinions and viewpoints, but if you are unkind or abusive or disrespectful I will delete your comment.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that He knows me perfectly. I know that everything happens for a reason and it will always be okay because of Him. I know that confusing things happen in life but that He knows everything and He has a plan that I can't even begin to comprehend. It's okay if I get confused or don't have an explanation or don't know everything, because He does. I trust Him and that's all I need.

April 26, 2013 at 11:32 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I used to think I could study God to know him, because I liked to study things to know them. Over time I decided that we know someone when we can trust him/her, and that comes through having hard times and being helped, and it comes from seeing others have hard times and helping. We come to know God, I think, by loving him (faith), by receiving his love (hope), and by loving like him (charity). Love is the answer, as the old song says. But it's also easier to share love with a God we've studied, and so I'm glad I studied God. It gave me better questions to ask him while we have shared love.

April 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Kristiina said...

God is infinite. God is love. God is infinite love.

I'm really shocked how many people believe God is male. A gendered god (male or female) just doesn't make sense in my brain. But like you said, we all have our own truth.

April 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Debby@Just Breathe said...

Interesting post. I was raised in a Presbyterian church, my parents were really involved members yet I never really knew who God was. He wasn't talked about in the house. God came into my life about 18 years ago when I was sick and in the hospital. I started going to a local church and loved it. It was a small church where you knew everyone.

Then I moved about 30 miles away and slowing started not going anymore. I do not have a home church and I'm fine with that. I have a wonderful one on one with God. I talk to him all the time and I'm not sure I could live in this world without my belief in Heaven.

Thanks for stopping over today.

April 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger The Lovely One said...

I have questions. I am confused.

One of biggest questions i have is about the afterlife. If an infant dies, does she stay an infant forever? So she never gets to grow? That doesn't sound like much of a Heaven. At the same time, if she does grow to a mature age, and then she's reunited with her family, she won't be like they remembered her, and that's what they fell in love with. Does that make sense? Or what about someone who is truly a Godly person, and she'll go to Heaven, but she's in love with a non-believer? She won't get to spend eternity with the non-believer, but isn't that heartbreaking, if she really loves him?

Perhaps I am taking the whole notion of an afterlife too literally, and maybe what I see after I die isn't what the next person sees.

April 29, 2013 at 8:30 AM  
Anonymous OneMommy said...

I love what you said about your experience and beliefs not necessarily being what others even in your own faith might experience.

So true. To me it is a very personal thing.

I see God as "our father" and to me that means he loves us like a father, I can't see him as some one who wants total control over us or someone who can't forgive us unless we do certain things. A parent forgives no matter what.

April 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger The Dose of Reality said...

Fantastic and thought provoking post. Like you, I'm fascinated by the beliefs of others, and not put off in any way if they aren't like mine.

I believe in God. I've seen too much of His work and His hand on my life to feel any other way. --Lisa

April 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Susan Cook said...

I believe everyone has the right to their own opinions and mine are still a work in progress.

May 1, 2013 at 5:13 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Great post. very thought provoking. I love hearing about other people's beliefs. I love to question my own. It's how I really learn about what I really believe - through my own questions.

May 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger Joi @ Rx Fitness Lady said...

God is good!

May 2, 2013 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Julie Moore said...

There is a book called "The Shack" by William P. Young that expresses my thoughts on how I view God in a lot of ways, better than I can type it all out. I think we learn more about God every day, and that He reveals different parts of Himself to us depending on what stage of life we are in (i.e. when we get married, when we have kids, when we experience loss). I don't think I will ever know all of Him this side of life, but I will say that He is amazing and I'm glad that I know Him and have Him as my Savior.

I am not afraid of other beliefs, even if I disagree, because the truth is the truth and conviction is conviction, and that doesn't change because of a disagreement. Does that make sense?

Anyway, thank you for such a thought-provoking post and for taking the time to come by Fibro, Fit and Fab! and leave a comment. I appreciate it.

Have a great day!

May 2, 2013 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger SuperMom Blues said...

BEAUTIFUL post!! Your words really touched my soul.

I believe that I have an amazing relationship with Jesus Christ and that He died for my sins and the sins of the world, even though not one of us were deserving.

I believe that God loves each and every one of us - no matter what.

And I believe that your post is one of the best I've read on religion in a long time!!

Stopping in from SITS.

May 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger Mommy's Heart said...

Loved your post.. you always have deep insights to share..and a topic on God is never uninteresting. Rather, it is very intriguing.. My idea of God is power. A power within you that influences your being in all the right ways. Without this power in my day to day life and also in my spirit, I am just very useless.

May 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Shari Lynne @ www.faithfilledfoodformoms.com said...

Hi Robin!
What a great post..I love it! Thank you for sharing such a deep and wonderful insight to God. I used to be threatened by people that thought differently than I did. Then God showed me that it was because I was playing judge and jury and not letting God be God. Because who God is..he loves everyone..even if they don't love Him. I want to be that way..I want to love like He does..a love that doesn't care what others think and that is sold out only for His glory :)
Blessings Robin!!

May 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your higher power may be God or Jesus Christ,It doesn't really matter much to me,cos without each others help there ain't no hope for us........
I know I'm living in a dream of fantasy !!!

May 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger K.D. said...

God is amazing! I believe we all have our own personal relationship with Him and he understands us individually. Great post. Stopping by from SITS.

May 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM  

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home