Friday, December 14, 2012

Simple Joys: Tiny Bubbles

Since we got rid of most of our dishes over a year ago I do most of my dishes by hand.  It's a more pleasant experience.  The warm water.  The suds.  Instant gratification.

And the tiny bubbles.

I don't remember seeing these before.  I've done dishes by hand many times in the past.  I think it might be the bottle.  Nearly every time I pick up or set down the bottle of dish soap, tiny bubbles shoot out of it and float around the sink.  About the size of my fingertip.  And it makes me happy.

Bubbles are one of life's miracles, if you ask me.  They're just magical, no matter how old I get.  Watching them float.  Wondering if they will survive the landing.  Trying to catch them without popping them.  They are a wonder.

They take me back to a simpler time with my children.  Every time I see them I remember the summers spent blowing bubbles so my children could chase them.  I remember helping my children learn to blow them.  I remember when the magic of bubbles was enough to solve most unhappy days.  Long before dating woes, driving stress, and worries about grades and graduation and college.  Just me, the kids, bubbles, and sunshine.

They also take me further back in time.  Every time I see them I hear the song "Tiny Bubbles" in my head.  I remember the first time I heard that song.  It wasn't Don Ho.  It wasn't on a ukelele'.  It was an old man on a guitar.  With his partner on a banjo.  I went camping with my grandma to an annual gathering called The Blackhawk.  As the summer evening was winding down, people were socializing and relaxing.  People were playing music together, rocking in lawn chairs by their trailers, singing.  And these two old men created heaven.  A moment that still brings me peace when I think about it.  Just a still, quiet summer evening filled with the beautiful harmony of two old friends.

A time when I had no worries.  There was nothing left for the day except to enjoy the company of those around us until it was time to go to bed.  I was with my grandma, my angel on earth.  And with people who had all the time in the world just to be.

Washing my dish makes me happy.  It brings me joy in a most simple way.  (And just in case it is the bottle -- it's Dawn and it works best when the bottle is mostly empty.  I want you to find happiness washing your dish, too.)

12 comments:

Bonnie said...

:)

Rubye Jack said...

I like washing dishes also and even though I have a dishwasher I've never used it. I've never liked them. I love doing laundry too, but don't ask me about the rest of the place cause it's a bona fide unadulterated messy mess. I buy expensive dish soap - Method - because I like the smell. Life is seriously about the simple things.

One day awhile back I noticed that nice colorful flannel expensive sheets made me happy whenever I went to bed. Seriously content. :)

doseofreality said...

I can't stand washing dishes...but maybe what I need is just a little Dawn! Bubble do equal happiness! :)

Dawnelle said...

I think if I only had one or two dishes to wash, I'd be happy, too.

Melissa G. said...

I remember almost crying when my daughter blew her first bubble, part amazement at her own accomplishment, pride that she could do it, and a wee bit sad that she didn't need me to do it for her anymore.

MaggieJo said...

I love blowing bubbles over a mirror laying down on the ground and watching the perfect circles appear. Bubbles are a little miracle with their rainbows. I like doing dishes too but alas too many. I love my dishwasher but I also enjoy washing my pots and pans.

Janice said...

Beautiful post. Love your comment about having nothing to do but enjoy the people you're with. How often do we take the time for this? So glad to find your blog through SITSgirls. Thanks!

Mothering From Scratch said...

{Melinda} Now that my kids are older, I totally understand what you mean. I sometimes long for those simpler days when things seemed so much more carefree. But there is blessing in the challenges, too. God stretches me and shows me new things about His sufficiency and faithfulness.

Kerrie @ Family Food and Travel said...

I do not love washing dishes. I wish I did. I think it is a therapeutic and sometimes quiet time at the end of a busy meal. Love this post. Simply joys are so important.

Kerrie
www.familyfoodandtravel.com

Katy said...

You've been to Blackhawk???? Awesome! I wanna go . . .

Rebecca Rider said...

What a cool memory! It's interesting the way that a nice experience can stay with us forever, and make us smile when we least expect it.

Christa aka The BabbyMama said...

We have no dishwasher and most of the dishes, save for on weekends, are scrubbed clean by me. I'm going to try to find something beautiful in the next sinkful I clean. Thank you for the inspiration!