Friday, December 28, 2012

Living in the First Person, Present Tense

2012 was the year of KINDNESS for me.  It changed my life.  It changed me.  An entire year focused on one thing.  Kindness.  It was beautiful and glorious.  And while I will carry kindness forward with me, I am ready to move on.

This coming year I want to SEE.

I tend to be task oriented.  I get so focused on the task, the thing I am trying to accomplish, that I miss a lot.  I want to see more. 

I want to live in the first person, present tense.  I want to be truly present in the events and moments of my life.  I want to spend less time in the second person, worrying about what others do or should do.  I want to spend less time in the third person, observing life happening around me.  And I want to spend a lot less time in the past tense or future tense.  I want to be here.  Now.

Life is about moments.  It's about people.  It's about beauty.  That's where the glory of life happens.  But too often I miss it.

Instead of seeing the 360 degrees around me, I get stuck in tunnel vision.  Instead of seeing the technicolor of life, it becomes a grayish blur in my peripheral vision because I can't take my eyes off what's in front of me.

I want to see the beauty of a moment.  I want to rejoice longer as I watch my children enjoy each other's company.  I want to mourn deeper with my friends who are struggling.  I want to look more people in the eye and seek to understand.  I want to see progress in myself and acknowledge it and be proud of it instead of focusing on all the things I still need to fix.  I want to see purpose in the things I do by rote every day.

When I chose the word SEE to guide me in the next year, it felt so right.  It makes complete sense in my mind and heart.  It's about practicing mindfulness.  It's about making moments mean more.  It's about opening my heart wider.

I want to see with new eyes.  I want to see divinely.  I want to see as God sees.

I've had glimpses.  I sense that there will be times when my heart is overwhelmed.  I sense that I will cry more.  I will admit that I am a little frightened to completely open my heart and feel fully.  But I trust that this is the right next step.

And so, in faith I leap.

15 comments:

Rubye Jack said...

At times I think that the only difference in our faith or reason is semantics. When I first started reading this post I thought oh how I envy you your faith. And then I read of how you see glimpses, and I too have seen these glimpses quite recently, felt them, and know of something more. It's interesting to me how much of the world may be suffering from lack of understanding due to mere semantics but to the religous the words seem to be so terribly important. I like to think I am mistaken in that thought.

Sela Toki said...

Certainly a beautiful thing to focus on this coming year. "SEE". To be present on literary on first place. Thank you and have a Happy New Year.

Rachel Cotterill said...

I love the idea of picking a word to focus on for a year, but oh, how I struggle to pick a word! Yours are good choices :)

Melissa G. said...

Such true sentiments. Sometimes I feel like I'm living the majority of the time in my head and not really experiencing the moment.

Life 101 said...

Be here now. Great advice Misssrobin. Someone sent me a funny today in email that said today you're as old as you've ever been and the youngest you'll ever be.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm you're latest follower.

torinelson said...

Awesome post and goal for the new year. We miss a lot if we're not looking :)

The Dose of Reality said...

That is a really good goal. I like the idea very much of choosing one word to capture what you want for yourself in the coming year. Will have to think about mine.

Bev Feldman said...

Beautifully written in post. I also struggle to live in the present and would love to see more as well. Good luck on this endeavor and hope that 2013 is off to a wonderful and presently-minded start.

Tanya @ Mom's Small Victories said...

I second Bev's comment, beautifully written post. I hope 2013 brings you all the wondrous beauty that God provides to us everyday. A wonderful reminder that I need to focus on those beautiful moments we encounter in everyday life.

Vicki M. Taylor said...

What a wonderful way to see the world, in first person. I too am changing my life for the better. Reading the devotional JESUS CALLING, every day. It's keeping me grounded in the present moment.

Savvy WorkingGal said...

What a beautiful post. “See” is a great word. I too have been reading many posts recently where bloggers are choosing a word for 2013. I am working on a strength challenge – to “be stronger” in my 50th year, but I didn’t want my word to be strength or strong or even “Be Strong.” While reading your post my word came to me - Wholeness. I’ve been reading Gloria Steinem’s book “Revolution From Within” where she writes about “wholeness.” She recommends we work towards a “whole self.” Thanks Robin for helping me “See” my word. Wishing you a great 2013.

Anne said...

You chose such a strong word. May you always see the beauty around you and I wish that you may also help others see that beauty.

Wishing you well this 2013!

Christina Morley said...

What a beautiful post! I especially loved hearing how good things surround you in the moment. May you see and experience more in 2013! Also, I loved your last line, "And so, in faith I leap."

Tina - mom of 4
Amanda's Books and More
http://abooksandmore.blogspot.com

C McKane said...

Thanks for sharing your plans for the new year. I think living in the present can be so scary because we're not analyzing the past or dreaming of the future but doing.

Very inspiring post- thanks!

Libby said...

Perfect! I can't wait to share your year ahead,