Friday, October 5, 2012

Simple Joys: My Bowl

My posts have been heavier lately because my life has been heavier.  And while nothing has really changed, I need a little bit of light.  Just some light writing about things that bring me joy.  So I decided now would be a good time to begin a series I've been pondering.  A series about simple joys.

A while back I wrote about finding minimalism and feeling like I was finally home.  Since then I've written about not liking stuff, getting rid of hundreds of books, only keeping one set of dishes for each member of the family, and what to do with all the trophies.  In my efforts to minimize I have taken thirteen trailer loads to the dump or the thrift store.  It's felt great.  And, yes, there is still so much to do.

But one of the best things about getting rid of stuff is what I keep.  Deciding what matters to me and what doesn't.  Letting go of emotional attachments that are more guilt than love and everything kept just in case.  The things I intentionally keep bring me joy.

One of these things is my bowl.  It's ceramic.  It has about a three cup capacity.  It's deep.  It's good for a small bowl of cereal or a big bowl of stew.  It's the only bowl I use.  And it brings me so much joy.  Every time I use it.

There is something about the heft of it.  It's kind of heavy.  I like that.  It feels solid in my hands.  It has a wonderful little chip in it that serves as the perfect place to rest my thumb as I hold it.  It is kind of a dark blue with a snowman head -- wearing a hat and a scarf and a big smile.  It also has white dots scattered sparsely around the bowl.  Raised dots.  I love texture.  The added texture of those dots on my bowl makes me happy.

One day it will break and I will have to fall in love with another bowl.  That's okay.  I've found that the fewer things I own the easier it is for me to love them.

For now I have it and it brings me a ridiculous amount of joy.

13 comments:

Sheila Skillingstead said...

Love the post. I too have been paring down over the years and I eat out of ceramic dishes. More than your one. I've acquired them over the years going on ARTrails which is a studio tour event in the fall. My favorite purchase is a hexagon shaped plate with braided handles. Enjoy your day. Today I'm celebrating publishing my book The Mindstalker on Amazon.

dinoheromommy.com said...

what a great post babe. Yes, too many "things" overwhelms us and we lose sight of what we actually have and love.

Rubye Jack said...

I have had such bowls in the past; a couple anyway. They are now gone. I move too much. But you have reminded me Robin of how special a special bowl can be. A good life can be that simple.

Bonnie said...

I kept thinking through your post about being "vessels" of the Lord and the stake theme of drawing water with joy from the wells of salvation. You need a vessel for that, to BE a vessel for that. Even when we are a bit chipped, sometimes we have great texture, interesting designs, and we hold ... something. Joy is good.

My life is filled with little joys. I love them too.

Libby said...

I loved this post Miss Robin because I totally understand what you are saying. I love ceramics and I love bowls and I have a few favourites that give me great joy.

noworries said...

Amazing how refreshing simplicity can be. I have begun to practice minimalism also. It's great. Now to get the family on board!

Rebecca Rider said...

I love this post! It's amazing how many things we keep around because we feel bad about letting them go - when the truth is, they are just things, and by having less, we appreciate what we have more!

Growing Tween said...

Yes, lovely post- sometimes we love the heaviness of things.

hilljean said...

I love this! The way you described it makes me want to have one of my very own. I like this idea as a series!

L A U R A said...

I totally agree. I find that doing some "spring cleaning" helps me sort out what is important and what isn't. I really don't like my life being cluttered...One of my friend told me for every new item that she buys, she gets rid of three items that she has at home. Even if it's something small like a pen. I liked that idea.

Organized Island said...

I agree that owning fewer things really does make life fuller. I don't think I realized that when I was younger, it is something that comes with time and experience. I am glad you are freeing yourself of the clutter in your life, and only keeping things that make you smile.

Suz said...

Today, with the rain and all, would be a great day to eat some warm stew out off that favorite bowl.

Luvs
Suz

Christine said...

I love this post too. It's amazing how much "stuff" we cling to and hold on to - things that we're emotionally attached to, like you said, more out of guilt than love. I love that you kept this bowl and that it brings you so much joy. I too have been trying to focus more and more on the happy and the joy in my life.