Saturday, October 13, 2012

I'm NOT Writing a Book

Because I don't want to.

I know a lot of bloggers are.  I know many bloggers blog for this very reason, to work toward publishing a book.  And when I started blogging there was a part of me that hoped to be discovered and pursued by publishers.  A tiny, dreamy part.

Being pursued sounded nice.  Being wanted is cool.  But what comes next?  Okay, that part holds me up.

Right now I just don't have the burn to write a book.  It's not inside me itching to get out.  I don't ache to tell a story, at least not one I can't tell through blogging.  And that matters to me.  Writing needs to come from my gut.  I need to need to tell a story.  Or it's just not a satisfying and cathartic experience.  And that's what I want writing to continue to be for me.

I would love to have my words touch everyone, reach every corner of the world.  I really would.  But I don't think writing a book would make that happen.  I think writing a book would make my words and thoughts and experiences less accessible to those who may benefit from them most.

A book intimidates many people.  A blog is easier.  A book costs money.  A blog is free.  A book becomes too much about me.  My words are for everyone.

And as much as it makes my husband crazy, I don't want to be paid for my writing.  Yes, we could use the money.  Yes, I'd like to feel like I contribute something to our family budget.  But not through writing.

Writing is from my heart.  It's spiritual.  It's how I offer a piece of myself to the universe hoping to make it a better place.  I believe charging for it would cheapen it.  Would tarnish it.

Which is funny because I don't feel this way about other writers.  I have bought many books over the years and (almost) never felt like an author sold out because he/she put their writing into a book.  I've never felt writing had less value because it was bound and sold.  I don't look down on or judge people who make money off their writing.

It's just not for me.  I may change my mind some day.  But today, my words are free.  And I offer them to you.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

I feel EXACTLY the same way.

October 13, 2012 at 12:44 AM  
Blogger MaggieJo said...

You've touched me! Thanks!

October 13, 2012 at 5:02 AM  
Blogger agapewoman said...

I agree with you Robin, although you are a great writer, you tell your story and keep me reading. I think blogging is a wonderful way to tell your story and touch someone else. Have a good weekend! Visiting from SITS!

October 13, 2012 at 7:41 AM  
Blogger Homemakersdaily.com said...

It's nice to have options, isn't it?! If you want to, you can. If you don't, you don't have to. America is a great place to live.

October 13, 2012 at 8:25 AM  
Anonymous Sheila Skillingstead said...

I love this post. I love to blog and it is so different than writing my books. I am not publishing to earn money but to pass on my writing. Your post is so well written. Keep it up. I think this is my favorite post I've read on your blog.

October 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Chris Carter said...

What a beautiful testimony to your mission and your ministry!!! Through your words, you encourage and inspire so many, and you are listenning to your heart- which will ALWAYS be the best way to go!!! :)

October 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Kerrie @ Family Food and Travel said...

Love your blog. You have an impact with this format. I respect you for choosing to stick with it.

Kerrie
http://familyfoodtravel.blogspot.ca

October 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger Rubye Jack said...

You've expressed all of my sentiments about writing and blogging here Robin.
I do my best to keep up with your blog because it does come straight from your heart and I always feel you are speaking truth. That's what I look for in friends.

October 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Cari said...

What a beautiful way to put it! My mom is a writer and wrote for many years without making money from it, it is all about feeding your soul and making you happy! You have a new reader, and I cannot wait to read these words that pour from your heart.

October 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM  
Blogger Simoney said...

I totally agree with you about writing needing to come from your gut...
I had forgotten how much i loved words and telling stories until i began blogging, then i remembered that my childhood dream had been to write books. One day I will do it, collect my stories in book form and turn them into something I can hold in my hand; that's still a dream I have. But for now blogging is such a wonderful way to share stories and make connections

(found you on SITS Sharefest)

October 14, 2012 at 12:04 AM  
Blogger Crystal Green said...

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I do want to write a book, but I've never had time to dedicate to writing one. The one I want to write is truly going to come from deep within my soul and it will cause me to go on a huge roller coaster ride of emotions. So, therefore, I have to not only have time for the book itself, but time to also gather my emotions in order to rejoin my family and take care of their needs as well.

Thanks for your kind words on my blog. :) I look forward to getting to know you better. ;) Glad we are a part of SITS together.

October 14, 2012 at 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Sandra said...

Maybe you just don't have the story you want to tell right now. Maybe one day you will. I get it though. I don't want to write a book either. I have. I wrote 2. But trying to get them published too all the fun I had while creating my characters. By the time I was done searching for agents and publishers, I kinda hated my characters...so yeah, I'll keep blogging as long as people will continue to read me.

October 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I agree 100%. Let's start a club. We can call it the "No, I'm not writing a book" club. lol
Hugs

October 15, 2012 at 7:20 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I have had some of those same ideas swirling around in my head too ... Thanks for being so open in your writing!

October 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Masala Chica said...

Everybody who writes a blog finds different joys in it. But writing itself is cathartic and cleansing, it helps heal, it helps reveal, and it helps come to peace with a lot of the thoughts in your head.

Writing doesn't have to be monetized - and there are plenty of bloggers who just enjoy the ride and the community they build along the way.
Kiran

October 20, 2012 at 4:27 AM  
Blogger Ginny Marie said...

I love this perspective! And how you left the possibility open. ;)

October 20, 2012 at 6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home