Monday, August 6, 2012

My Dream Car is a Truck

Over the last few years I've watched several friends excitedly buy a new car.  Exactly what they wanted.  Eyes dancing with joy.  Truthfully, I just don't have this experience with cars.  I don't think a car has ever made my eyes dance.  I did like watching the joy their dream cars brought them.

As I was driving down the freeway a while back, a nice car drove by.  I have no idea what kind it was.  I wasn't really paying that much attention, I just appreciated the aesthetics of it.  And it sparked a thought.  If I could have any car in the world, what car would I want?

Let me first say all I've ever wanted in a car is for it to run and do what I need it to do.  Get me and mine and our stuff from here to there.  That's it.  We currently own four cars (remember, I have five kids, ages 14-21).  One isn't running or registered.  All of them have multiple things wrong with them.  They are all either hand-me-downs or gifts from my parents.  As long as they run, I don't care what they look like.

We haven't had a car payment in years.  I hate having a car payment.  We have no plans to buy a car in the near future.

But if the universe suddenly wanted to give me the car of my dreams, this is what it would be.  It would be a Chevy pickup from the late 70s or early 80s.  It doesn't matter what color or whether it's two-toned or not.  A few dents would be nice.  It would be partly rusted out, maybe even a small hole in the floorboard.  The shocks would be somewhat worn so that we could really appreciate the bumps on unpaved roads.  It would be a stick shift that sometimes took both hands to get into reverse.  The bed would be dented and dirty from hauling anything and everything.  You'd have to really slam the tailgate to get it to close.  The windows and locks would be manual.  And since this is my dream car and it can be whatever I want, it would have a rebuilt engine that runs smoothly and gets great gas mileage, working air conditioning and heating and seat belts, and new tires.

Thinking about this took me back to all the trips to the livestock auctions on Saturday mornings, all the rides through the canyon, all the times I had to get out and open or close the gate, and the smell of hay mixed with manure while hauling horses.  The good times with my dad.

Completely impractical but oh, so nostalgic.  Isn't that what dreams are supposed to be?

Labels: , , , , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

I love pickups. My oldest has a pretty sweet pickup - pretty much what I'd want.

But my dream car? It's a 30s era British roadster. Cream with a brown soft top convertible. And chrome.

Fun thoughts. Here's to better memories with Dads.

August 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

How fun. You are a wonderful writer. My dream car comes with a chauffer.

August 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger MaggieJo said...

Takes me back to camping. My parents inherited my grandparents custom made camper on a old dodge. Sheep fur for seat covers and manual everything. I loved that truck! I've always loved a good pickup. Weird, even I wouldn't picture me loving a pickup. But none of that new huge shiny stuff. Blah, that's gross. Makes me sad chad is selling his but we need better gas mileage.

August 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger WhisperingWriter said...

My husband LOVES his truck.

Me, I prefer small cars. Mainly because I stink at parking so smaller ones are easier for me to handle.

August 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

There's no right or wrong to dreams. They're ours and they are the way we make them.

August 7, 2012 at 8:37 PM  
Blogger BusyMomofTwins said...

I absolutely understand your thoughts on cars. I feel cars are practical. We have one. I wish we had two, but getting a new one is just something that happens, not something that I get super excited about.
I am new to your blog and really enjoying reading it. You have a beautiful writing style. Open, honest and thoughtful.
http://familyfoodtravel.blogspot.ca

August 9, 2012 at 7:05 AM  
Blogger jamie said...

I'd love one of those too. There's no great truck in Malaysia...

August 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM  
OpenID denisemalloy.com said...

I'm with you - cars don't do it for me and I HATE a car payment. Mine is 13 years old and can haul all my purchases home from Costco (otherwise I can ride my bike pretty much everywhere I want to go) But if someone gave me a car, it would have to be a 2 seater BMW convertible - sounds like FUN, yet totally impractical, therefore the perfect gift.

August 10, 2012 at 6:57 AM  
Anonymous Car Insurance Quote Experts said...

Indeed, trucks are one of the tough but fancy rides one can get! :)) Nice post!

August 28, 2012 at 5:27 AM  
Blogger Clint Moore said...

Aww. There’s no need to be sad, Robin. Having 4 cars is such an achievement. You are really fortunate to own more than 2 cars. I bet they are running and functioning well – just like how you expected your cars to be. Enjoy every moment with your cars for a while, and in time, I’m sure you’ll be able to finally purchase your dream Chevy pickup.

Clint Moore

September 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Goodness gracious, you could probably pick one of those up at the side of the road -- well, except for the well-running engine part. It sounds like the pickup my dad got when I was in high school. If it were mine, I would trade it for any of your other cars! Ha, ha. To each their own!

September 30, 2012 at 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Leisa Dreps said...

I think there’s nothing wrong of having a truck as a ‘dream car.’ We all have preferences and have at least a vision of what car we see ourselves in. Some want it fast, and others want it slow. Some want it huge, and others want it tiny. As for you, you want it to be old and with some dents on it. And it happens to be a truck. If you are really getting a truck with the specifications you mentioned, I think it won’t be hard to find one. I just hope that you won’t get frustrated with it in the long run. May your wish come true!

October 8, 2012 at 7:31 AM  
Blogger Timmy Radloff said...

Wow, that is pretty unique! Maybe the reason why you never get excited about getting a new car is that you are an adventurous person. And having a vehicle that can do more than what the usual cars do is the thing that excites you, like something that you can bring to the roughest terrains.


Timmy Radloff

November 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Tyra Shortino said...

I agree with Leisa. Personal preference is a big factor when it comes to choosing a car. And as long as you are happy driving it, it wouldn’t be any problem to anyone. If you really want a truck, then just go to your nearest dealer and purchase one. In the end, you know the best car for you!


@Tyra Shortino

November 23, 2012 at 5:06 AM  
Anonymous Mickey Doshi said...

At first I thought you wanted a big truck. Hehe! Well, I wouldn’t want to own a truck, but ever since I was young, it was really my dream to drive one, well at least for once in my life. And when I talk about trucks, I mean a monster truck. Hahaha! Anyhow, a Chevy pickup is great. My father used to have one before and it was what we used whenever we went to my grandparents’ house.

December 5, 2012 at 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Junior Perrera said...

That was quite a dramatic moment back there, Miss Robin. That's normal. I also had times when I just stopped and thought for awhile about the things around me, you know. :) A Chevy pickup isn't bad for a dream car, you know. I think it'll cost you more today, ma'am. Vintage cars are getting more expensive as decades pass by.

December 10, 2012 at 10:08 AM  
Anonymous extang tonneau said...

I can say that pickup trucks are a practical choice since you can take them for camping and off-road adventures aside from the usual driving around the city.

March 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM  
Anonymous Taylor Reeves said...

As long as the vehicle that you want can give you an enjoyable and safe ride wherever you want to go, then it doesn't matter if people look at it as an ideal model for a dream car.

March 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM  
Anonymous Car Insurance South Africa said...

I like the style of your writing, keep up the good work, really enjoyed this read.

July 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home