Sunday, January 1, 2012

What Will This Year Be?

I'm not big on marking the new year as some great day with a bunch of resolutions.  I don't usually make resolutions.  I used to and then just got angry with myself if I didn't follow through or felt like I had to continue even when it no longer fit my life.  I'm always trying to change, trying to improve.  I don't think I need a calendar to tell me today is the day to start.

Plus, I hate going along with the crowd.  I've been known to not do something that everyone else is doing, even though I wanted to, because of it.  But this time I am going to overcome that tendency (that's one goal right there -- done!).  I am going to push through my natural rebel and start something today that I intend to continue.  Maybe for the whole year.

A while back I saw something somewhere (don't you like how well I track my inspiration?).  I think it was on a blog, but I really have no idea.  This person chose a word to define the year.  One word to use to guide them in all they did.  Maybe to improve on.  Maybe to notice more.  Whatever.

I like this.  And I'm choosing to do this.  I don't know if it will be for the whole year or if I'll feel like choosing a new word in a month or if I'll just decide the whole thing is stupid and throw it out the window.  I like to see how things go and switch it up when they don't work.

And, because I can take commitment in small doses, I am going to do something every day.  I am going to find a quote, thought, maybe a scripture for my word each day and tweet it.  That's it.  I will commit to one tweet a day.  I believe that is doable.  And if I miss a day (which I shouldn't because that's really a small commitment that anyone should be able to follow through on), I will forgive myself and get over it.

My word for the year is KINDNESS.  I want to practice it more.  I want to notice it more.  I want to feel it in my heart and to my toes more.

You can follow me on Twitter to share my experience.  Or you can just come to my blog every now and then; my Twitter feed shows on my sidebar.  Who knows?  I might even write a blog post about it.

This will be a year of kindness. 

I'd love to hear about how you're going to change the world this year (or just change yourself).  Feel free to share.

**********

To see how it was going after a month click here.
To see what I learned through the year click here.

10 comments:

Birdie said...

The nice thing about a resolution of kindness is it can start over and over again and you don't need to feel bad about it. Please post because I can't figure out Twitter! :-)


°o o°
__o°__
|HappY|
| New |
\\Year/
\\__/
__||__

Rubye Jack said...

I can't even begin to handle the idea of the Tweeter thing Robin, but your blog I love. Blogs are good and filled with kindness. Your's in particular. Seriously. I think your blog was one of the very first I found and I always loved it not only because of your intelligence and way of looking at life with a great deal of common sense, but also because you are always kind.

And with that, here's a toast to the new year!

Bonnie said...

Kindness is a really good way to fall back into the world.

From Tracie said...

I love that you are going to do the one word thing this year!!

I really like that you are going to share a quote, or thought, or scripture each day. I think I will incorporate a little of that into my one word journey this year.

KINDNESS. That is a great word!

Libby said...

I love your word Miss Robin - there's so much to it if you really think about it and I'm already enjoying your tweets. My word for this year would probably be Believe - it's a word that had jumped out at me several times in the last few days and I think I should honour that.

Actuary Mom said...

i love this concept! i saw it somewhere too, but I don't know where. Kindness is a great word for the year.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

That's a fabulous word choice! I always like Ali Edward's word for the year idea, but I've never actually decided on a word before!

Day said...

Hear hear. Fabulous choice. :)

Tagtraumbärchi said...

This is a very good idea and I wish you the best of luck with pulling it through :) Kindness is a good word to start a new year with.

I guess if I had to choose a word it'd be "frankness"

xoxo

Broot said...

Yes, I'm liking the word idea better than resolutions. And I love your word!! Thanks for finding me again! :)