Thursday, April 28, 2011

Lost My Footing

When I was a kid summertime meant freedom. Roaming. Exploring. And one place my friends and I spent time was the creek.

Early summer would find it still deep enough to come up to my thighs. And, man, was it cold.

We would walk up the creek, marveling at the wonders around us. Finding cool rocks. Talking about life.

But when I wasn't careful I would lose my footing. I'd step on a wobbly rock or a slippery one and down I'd go. Sometimes I got caught in the current and was carried a ways downstream before I could get my feet under me again.

Well, I've lost my footing. I was going along okay, but I guess I wasn't watching where I was going. Suddenly I was down and going the wrong direction. I was cold and floundering. I think I've stopped losing ground and I'm very carefully trying to get back on my feet.

This happens. Over and over this happens. It's so frustrating. And sometimes it's very scary. What if I can't catch myself this time? What if I float so far away no one can find me? What if I drown?

I have always found my footing in the past. I believe I will this time as well. The sun will come out and begin to warm me as it dries my clothes. I will find my way back to my friends.

But right now I'm just stepping oh so carefully. One wrong move and I'll be down again. And I don't want to be down again; the fight to get back up can be so hard.

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger From Tracie said...

I just came through a place of lost footing (or rather, I'm still coming through it, but I'm not good at admitting things like that so I make them sound better than they are).

I don't know all the answers, but I do know that there is a solid place to stand, and you will find it.

April 28, 2011 at 1:24 AM  
Blogger BlackEyedDog said...

it's a constant up and down...unfortunately-.- But I'm 100% sure that you're gonna find your footing again....it always has to get worse before it can get better.

xoxo

April 28, 2011 at 3:34 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I've been praying for you, my friend, and hoping that peace comes. Sometimes from our distance we can tell that something's wrong and not know if it's a natural drawing back from us because we're offensive or if the other is suffering. In my own life, I remember that even that question was such a burden, to have to placate people's feelings when mine were raw. Prayer is the only thing I know to do in that case, so I've been praying. Sure love you. I know you'll find your footing.

April 28, 2011 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Jessica Grosland said...

(*bleak smile*) I'm sorry, Mom. Really and truly. You know I always worry about you and pray for you. And I'm sorry I'm not home now to take care of you in what little ways I can.

Just know that I'm sending all my love your way. And I'll see you on Sunday.

April 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Yarell said...

I'm confident you'll find your footing. Good luck *hugs*

April 28, 2011 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Yes, the sun will come out and yes, it will warm you once again.

I'm glad you're back Robin!

April 29, 2011 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger Kazzy said...

I hope the rocks become less slippery and you are able to find your footing again sometime soon.

May 1, 2011 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger Dona said...

Maybe a little protein will help you find your footing--I think I hear Sizzler calling. Let me know when your dried off enough to go or if you are still dripping wet, I'll bring a towel for you to sit on....

May 2, 2011 at 12:16 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

stopping by from sits... I hope you find your way to some ground that's easier to navigate sooN!
*hugs*
~Heather

May 2, 2011 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Morgan said...

Visiting from SITS ... hoping for some sure footing soon!

May 2, 2011 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS! At least you know that when you fall, you can catch yourself and get up again.

May 3, 2011 at 4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home