Monday, September 13, 2010

It's All Downhill From Here

Remember when you were a kid and the word downhill was magical?  It meant you'd made it to the top of the hill and could almost fly down.  The thrill of danger.  The joy of easy speed.  The pride in your hard work that got you to the top.

Once you hit 40, downhill doesn't mean that anymore.  Downhill is now a bad thing.

Your health is going downhill.  Your looks are going downhill.  Your memory is going downhill.

Now I know that there are plenty of 40-year olds who are doing better than ever.  Plenty who still look great and have it all together.  For now.  But they're just delaying the inevitable.

Because it's not like it used to be.  When you were a kid and something went wrong with your body, it healed.  You felt miserable, for a few days.  You worked hard and were tired and sore, the next day.

Now it might take a week or more to recover from an intense day.  When something goes wrong with your body or you feel miserable it might not get better.

And it requires a mind shift. 

I'm not saying to give up.  I'm not saying to quit trying to improve your health.

I am saying, "Be realistic."

You will never feel like you did when you were twenty.  Never again.

Suck it up and deal with it.  You're more than a grown up.  You're a grown old.

15 comments:

Eclipsed said...

What if you botox? I kid, I kid!

Kazzy said...

You talking to me?

Bonnie said...

That was, for me, the magic of turning 40. Downhill means you have the view of the top of the hill, it means you aren't in a race with anyone else to get there, and it means that everything from here on out is easier. It means you can stay there and enjoy the view, and it means you can see where you're going and make some more reasoned choices about how you want to spend your energy. I wouldn't trade the view for the other side of the hill for ANYTHING. But you're right: going down does definitely take different muscles.

Cheryl D. said...

LOL! Thanks! Now I'm going to go shoot myself!

It IS depressing how you age after you hit 40. It's actually pretty scary how fast it happens. I'm going to eat a lot of chocolate now!

Karen said...

Hey there. I totally buy & promote your thought, "You will never feel like you did when you were twenty. Never again." But, that's true at 30 or 35 or 65. I agree, its unrealistic to think you can or even *should* be as you were a decade earlier. But, I don't think its *all* downhill at 40. I just don't. (No, I'm not there yet...getting close though.) I just think its *different*. That life, how its lived & lived through is different. And while there are times that might not be great, its not bad, just different. I'm human, I don't always do this, but I have found that when I can accept *different*, the differences are easier to adjust to. :>

Jessica Grosland said...

When I turn twenty, I'm going to party hearty just for you guys. :)

Just Another Person said...

I'm enjoying my mid-twenties life right now but I want to have my retirement already.

bluecottonmemory said...

Downhill? - when I turned 40, I threw my own surprise birthday party (realize I have 5 sons - no party planners there) - and celebrated life! And each year, I say life gets sweeter and sweeter! Of course, sometimes its mind over matter!

Of course, downhill on a sled in the snow of exhillaratingly alive!

Survivor said...

My experience is that 40 isn't yet to the top of the hill. It's a wonderful time of life. Even at age 65 I don't think I'm over the hill, BUT I do have a darn good view of the valley! ;-)

BlackEyedDog said...

I'm not even 20 and already need a week to recover from a bad day-.-
NOT good.
My body and my mind have never been the healthiest.

there's an award for you to pick up on my blog btw^^
http://semicrazed.blogspot.com/2010/09/depression-ed-award-usual-30-dbj.html

xoxo

Libby said...

42 and feeling fine! Yes it takes me a week to recover from weeding the garden but hey. Would I go back to 20? Maybe if I realised how gorgeous I was back then. Oh hindsight is such a lovely thing.

BLOGitse said...

No downhill here! :)
Life is not the same it was yesterday but I don't know about tomorrow. Life is good right now.

newt said...

I found that 40 was not too bad...still could lift heavy things and work crazy oveertime as long as I was high (that's bi hi!) but somewhere between 40 - 50 the pits got deeper and the hi's got shorter and fewer and now the lithium takes care of most all of the highs, but not so much the lows. I'm 51, and with the bi and the fibro and the heart attack 40 is just a faded memory of who I was. Wow...that was really depressing...sorry!!

SenoraG said...

Hi visiting from SITS. Thanks for the kick in the badorkus of your post. I am over 40 and proud of it. Geesh, thats the first time I said that. LOL

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS to say hi!