Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Comment on Comments

One of the most difficult things about writing a blog, for me anyway, is knowing how to handle comments.

I love comments on my blog.  I love knowing that people are reading and enjoying what I'm writing.  And I'd love to respond if that's what you want.  Or not, if you don't.

I have sometimes responded to a comment in the comment section, never knowing if the person who left the comment would think to come back and check for a comment on their comment.  (See, it is confusing.)

Sometimes I've responded with an email, if I had their email address and thought it was important.  Some people comment on facebook; they're easy to respond to.  Others comment in person -- again, easy to respond to.

But may I just take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone who has ever commented on my blog.  Your comments touch me and encourage me and make me laugh.  But mostly they just make me grateful.

And to you who don't comment because you can't come up with something clever to say, and you know who you are, I welcome your comments when you're ready.  It doesn't have to be pithy.  I welcome all comments:  nice, snotty, silly -- even BORING.  Whatever.  Remember, I have the power to delete those comments if they really bother me.

Please don't feel slighted if I don't respond.  I'm just not really sure how to handle that part of blogging yet.

7 comments:

K and D Roylance said...

um...I thought I had a comment, but it slipped away!
(I just enjoy the reading material.)

Jessica Grosland said...

Gee, Robin, you always write such amazing blogs and I guess I just wanted to comment and say thanks for brightening my day!

***

THIS IZ TEH WORST BLOG EVR AND I HOP U DIE!!!

***

If I commence to give a comment on your Comment on Comments comment, about common comets coming will I be commended?

***

Nice words. Your blog is nice.

***

Were those good enough examples of "nice, snotty, silly -- even BORING"?

Yarell said...

One thing you can do (and i'm sure that blogger.com supports it) is set up an rss feed for your comments that people can subscribe to just like they subscribe to your normal posts.

Katy said...

Ah, see! I saw this title and thought you were going to tell us all to bugger off! Hee hee. Nope, I guess it wasn't that kind of post!

Kazzy said...

I like leaving comments on peoples' blogs. It is a good way to connect.

Some people just come around and read my blog about every day but never ever comment. It makes me wonder if I am not engaging enough or if I am just flat out unliked.

Dona said...

Actually, Robin (and Kazzy) I check your blog everyday and I think of clever comments and often type them. After I type them, I find that they aren't so clever so I don't post them. I love to read your blog. I learn so much and I feel similarly about comments.

Luann said...

I know what you mean. I find myself wondering about how to handle comments for all the reasons you are describing. I love to get them, but sometimes I feel inadequate when I write them, but I still write them because I think most bloggers love to get them even if they are blogging mostly for their own creative outlet, but then if it's only for themselves they wouldn't bother to post it online so I think thy would probably like a comment just to know I stopped by even if what I have to say sounds kind of dumb.

So there ya have it.