Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Killer Snowmen

I know.  It's about dang time for me to cheer up.  The last thing anyone needs in January is depressing blogs.  I think this will help.

*****
So a while back I was driving through our neighborhood right after a big snowstorm.  There's one corner that needs to be taken slowly on a good day because visibility is limited as you come around.  After a snowstorm, I was being extra careful.  There was lots of snow on the road and I knew it was the time of day that kids would be out.  I went slowly, trying not to take out any innocents.  As I came around the corner, what did I see?  A herd of killer snowmen charging across the road!  They were carrying broomsticks and long branches and shovels.  And they seemed bent on revenge.

Okay, not really.  But in my mind that's what I saw.  Just out of the blue -- killer snowmen.  I blame Calvin and Hobbes for this.  And I thank that precocious young boy, Calvin, for his inspiration.  I got a good laugh out of it.  And I get it again everytime I come around that corner in the snow.

Few things are more enjoyable to me than something completely random.  Something that makes no sense or is totally unbelievable.

And I think that's part of the reason that I enjoy teenagers so much.  If anyone can be random, it's teenagers.  Little kids do it accidentally.  Big kids do it on purpose -- and do it well. 

The other day I ran into a neighborhood teenager who started talking to me in what seemed like mid-thought about something that made no sense, and was meant to.  I responded with more nonsense as if it made total sense.  A moment enjoyed by both.

Sometimes there's a story behind something and all I get is the random part.  Like when my daughter said, "Stick that in your off switch."

Other times it's just something strange that occurs to someone.  And they are kind enough to share it.

I'm going to confess something.  I love Monty Python's Holy Grail.  I know it is irreverant and stupid.  And I know that it has deep political meaning.  But I love it because so much in it is so random.  The coconuts?  C'mon, how can you not love the coconuts?  And the guardian at the bridge?  And the black knight?  And so many others.  So much joy in one little movie.

I offer you a few thoughts to ponder, in honor of my friend's wonderfully random dad:
*Do you walk to school or pack a lunch?
*Do you sleep alone or with the window open?
*What's the difference between a duck?  One of its feet are both the same.

And to you I say, "Ni!"

4 comments:

K and D Roylance said...

So speaking of snowmen, in today's Daily Herald(1/26) the cartoon strip "Buckles". It made me giggle. Buckles is not Calvin, but I ofter get as much enjoyment out of him and his friends as I did Calvin and Hobbs. Perhaps that is randon enough.

Jessica Grosland said...

And you can't come because you don't speak French!

Kazzy said...

Randomness is kind of the spice of life. I love young peeps for this reason too. The other day I asked one of my students what does 96 look like (we are working on 100 days of school) and he said "pink!" We all laughed.

The Holy Grail is funny, but I draw the line at The Life of Brian.

Katy said...

It's the killer bunny! Run away! Run away!